I never want to leave Norway!!!


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Western Norway » Bergen
May 11th 2006
Published: May 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hello Everybody,

Well, the Sens seem to be sucking some serious ass which makes me happy that we haven't had to sit through the disappointment of losing three games to Buffalo.....I guess the Sens really are cursed!

We spent our day in Oslo travelling through the touristy area of Karl Johan Street and then took a bus to Bygdøy to visit the open air museum. The museum was fantastic with examples of Norwegian homes from the beginning of written history to the 1800's. The weather was insanely hot and poor Mike ended up with heat stroke which cut our day short. We spent the evening sitting by the lake shore across from our campsite watching the sun sink lower and lower. It was a beaufiful way to end our day in Oslo.

Wednesday morning we packed up all our gear and took our first shower (which cost 10 kroner for 6 minutes of water!)
After that we headed to the train station to catch a ride to Berge.

The train ride to Bergen takes 7 hours but the cars we spacious and comfy. The beginning of our ride took us through forested hills and little villages set in beautiful valleys. We started to climb higher and higher into huge forested mountains, waterfalls and snow capped mountain tops. Our train wound its way up through tunnels cut right into the mountains. As we climbed higher, ours ears were popping with the high altitudes. At one point I fell asleep for about 30 mintues and when I woke up we were at the top of some huge peaks surrounded by unihabited, snow covered mountains. Mike and I were awestruke. We have never seen anything quite so beautiful in all our lives. As we travelled through this barren snow covered land, we passed some small villages with no roads or stores for miles around. It was quite an experience to be in such an ancient pristine place. At one stop named Fiske, we were at the highest train station in all of Norway. The conductor told us it was approximately 3000 feet above sea level. One man got on at this stop with a huge Rottweiler (dogs go almost eveywhere that poeple go in Norway!) Our new friend sat with us for a bit which made me miss our girls even more.....I still loved having a puppy to pet though!

From Fiske, we winded our way down the mountains through some more beautiful farms and villages. The last leg of our trip brought us past some Fjords until we finally reached our destination. Even the breathtaking train ride couldn't prepare us for the beauty of Bergen. It is the most fantastic city I have ever seen, or in Mike's words its "fucking amazing!" Our hostel is located halfway up Mount Ulriken and we have a 360 view of Bergen. Their are mountains all around us and a big harbour on the Fjord to our right. Today we have done some walking through the most wonderful neighborhoods full of ancient wooden buildings and stone facades that make us feel like we've stepped back in time. We just found this quaint internet cafe in a narrow cabblestone street and Mike spilled a full cup of coffee all over himself within minutes of arriving. At least they gave him a free refill!
We've met some very nice people along the way and the Norwegians in Bergen seem much more friendly then the Olso folks. Today, we will take the cable car up to the top of Mount Ulriken and then end our stay in Bergen tomorrow morning. Tomorrow we head to Flåm where we will travel up the steepest railway in the world.

Advertisement



11th May 2006

Reading every entry : )
...and living vicariously through you. Sounds like you've found an incredible adventure. Enjoy every discovery! Jen
13th May 2006

Hi erin and mike we read your entries and it really sounds like your having a great time. We miss you both and wish the rest of your trip is KICK ASS. Love Mom and alan.

Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.094s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb