Bergen - Salhus Tricotagefabrik


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Western Norway » Bergen
October 15th 2009
Published: October 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Salhus Tricotagefabrik ... the sardine version of a very wet and interesting day

went with girl from Prague to buy batteries in the Galleria
marched to the bus stop to catch the 280 bus at 12:11 to Stalhus Tricotagefabrik.
changed buses at Asan ... Ikea
took the circuitous route to Stahlhus
Rolls Royce plant
museum clearly marked
watched a twenty-five minute film with English subtitles ...
had a private guide ... I was the only visitor
made a sock in one minute with the sock machine
bought a scarf that I had seen knitted
had no coffee in cafeteria
caught the 15:10 bus back to Bergen.
stopped in at the wool and stitchery shop
walked the route to the Hurtigruten wharf
ambled back to the hostel
ate my left overs
spoke to a young man from Nederlands about alzheimers ....almost forgot the s
logged on and discovered my password had expired
misting all day ... came home WET ... did not venture out again.

And now for the HOLY Mackeral story ...

What made this a day of interest was that it pissed rain all day. It came down as if from a leaf misting device. But walking around long enough caused drips from the hood visor of my jacket. My pack remained dry under a Loblaws Superstore Meal in a Bag plastic. Saw kids with covers on their book bags so will look for one of those and buy if it is not exhorbitant. Apparently this is normal for Bergen and the sunshine ... as on Monday,Tuesday and Wednesday ...is something to record.

Tried to send my pattern book and other odds and ends of paper ... would have cost $30 so will carry some and discard others and not buy anything else.

Finding the bus for Salhus was not difficult. To the factory village I sat on the bus that took the scenic route. Single family dwellings, old farms, Rolls Royce Factory, a RED Ikea, a garden centre and building supply headquarters were passed. As the bus came closer to the village the hills became steeper and the road, though paved narrower, so narrow in fact that one vehicle had to give way to another. At one point the bus moved over to the left side to let a build up of cars and lorries pass on the right. Below this narrow place in the raod could be seen the factory building all painted in white.

All the passengers got of in the town square. There are no shops left in this village. Bergen lies fifteen minutes away. The factory had closed down in 1989. Since it has been declared a World Heritage Sight interest is being revived.

Lars was my guide in the factory. Even though the factory is closed all of the machines are kept in running order. Lars turned on the carding, the spinning and the knitting machines. He told me that a long roe of 66 spinning spools was controlled by two women. All the jobs that involved pushing or pulling or machinery maintenance were done by men.

Salhus Tricotage Fabrik was an enterprize begun by a Mr. Clausen from Germany in the 1800s. At one time in this area more than 20 textile mills flourished. Now only one is still profitable.

Mr. Clausen made underwear ... particularly mens long underwear. Originally made of cotton a switch was made to wool because cotton was unavailable because of the American Civil War. The bad times of the thirties had no effect on Salhus production. Women from the fjords brought the fleece of their sheep by rowing their boats to the docks at Salhus. In the beginning only water traffic made it to Salhus. The road was built by the Germans during WWII.

Workers lived in houses provided by Mr. Clausen ...five families to a house sharing a kitchenn and outdoor plumbing. A School was built for the children and Social Clubs were established. The wokers were paid much more than their counterparts in England. The underwear were advertised tobe fantastic last forever and therefore also cost more. The decline began when cheaper products began to compete with the Krone_Marco. Six Kroner of pay in Salhus could not compete with three oere in Taiwan.

After seeing all of the machines work Lars showed me the small retail shop. In the shop was for sale yarn, sweaters, scarves, and articles made of wool by local artists. I had seen the socks made in a minute on the machine but opted for a lovely white wool scarf, which I had also seen being knit on the machine. I loved this excursion. Seeing the machines working was like being in my own Discovery Channel "How Things Are Made" segment. Actually come to think of it .. they should come here and make a film. Other filmmakers apparently have used the facilities.

No time for coffee because the museum closed at 15:00. I made it back to the square in good time to catch the bus returning to Bergen. The bus change in Anse was quick and in no I was standing out in the rain. Mademy way the long way over HILL and DALE to the Hurtigruten Wharf.Won be taking that route with my back pack. Found a much easier way to walk it. Why not a taxi? You may ask ... the short and simple answer you already know...TOOOO expensive and the bus does not run out of season.

No need to buy any food ...must eat all that is left. Was back at the hostel by six, had eaten by seven and was showered and in my bed by eight. I made ready my blogs.
The girl from Prague came inn later and told me all about her perfect day ...especially the meal of reindeer steak at a restaurant in the Old Wharf Area. Am looking forward to some f the same during my boat trip.

All in all ...a good day was had by all!! Still no hunks on the none fjord horizon!

> to see an add about Krone-Maco Underwear
http://www.museumsnett.no/salhus/norsk_trikotasjemuseum/engelsk.htm - to read about the Factory


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

The Best Wool Shop The Best Wool Shop
The Best Wool Shop

- out of two .. bought a pattern and a magazine ... all in Norwegian ... will a little help to read the instructions.
The Best Wool Shop The Best Wool Shop
The Best Wool Shop

out of two ...
Workers Housing  Workers Housing
Workers Housing

Seen from window of the knitting room, parents could watch their children come home from school.


Tot: 0.597s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 57; dbt: 0.1348s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb