A 4th of July hike on Mt. Floen in rainy Bergen


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Western Norway » Bergen
July 4th 2007
Published: August 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

American flags drape across Voyager’s atrium and at 9 a.m., passengers stop to sing the National Anthem. No matter the nationality, everyone participates. Earlier in the cruise, we celebrated with the Canadians on their holiday.

Alan and I walk down the gangway to find our guide for a walking tour that includes a hike on Mt. Floen, one of seven mountains surrounding the city. Grey skies promise a misty, rainy day, which is typical for Bergen.

The walk to the funicular takes us near Bryggen, a wharf area where colorful wooden buildings from the time of the Hanseatic League face the harbor providing character and ambiance. Our guide describes the history as we walk in alleyways housing shops. The area has burned numerous times.

The modern funicular takes our group to the top where we stop for the view and photo taking.

When the hike begins, it doesn’t take long to distance ourselves from the city. Trails spread out in every direction. The forest crowds our path and shields us from the mist. The air carries the pungent odor of wet evergreen needles and damp earth.

At a pond, we stop to watch a mother and her ducklings. On warm weekends, it’s a favorite spot for city dwellers to picnic and swim. In the winter, cross-country skiers use the lighted paths for winter fun.

The hike continues up the mountain, beyond the tree line and to the top. We pass another lake and several huts or bunker type buildings. Our guide explains that they are leftover from WWII when the Norwegian resistance movement used them as hideouts. Today, they house sports clubs.

Once again, we arrive at a spectacular view that is marred by the rain. It’s spectacular anyway.

We hike the same path back to the funicular passing many residents and tourists out for a walk in the woods.

Back in town, our guide leads the group to the Fisketorget (Fish Market). Stalls of fresh berries and summer vegetables compete with tables of seafood, including shrimp, salmon and crab. Carts of flower displays sit next to handcrafted sweaters and touristy items. Locals and visitors lunch on baguettes loaded with smoked shrimp or salmon dressed with mayonnaise and cucumber.

Back on the ship, we watch our departure from our balcony. We’ve enjoyed our time in nature and look forward to a return to Bergen in the future. Hopefully, on a sunny day.

Why did we choose a walking tour of Bergen? Read more about it here at my blog about baby boomer travel, My Itchy Travel Feet .



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.395s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 31; qc: 138; dbt: 0.1513s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.3mb