Bergen on the Road again


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Western Norway » Bergen
July 1st 2007
Published: July 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

hello again,

We have been on the road again travelling between Oslo and Bergen in the west after spending a relaxing evening in Oslo. This time we were a full 10 hours in transit! even outdid our previous trip to Oslo. The journey only looked about 5 hours on the map but we literally took the scenic route. It ended up been an interesting day all the same. The weather was crap but we are getting used to it. it was the breaktaking scenery on the way that it made it so.

We took roads cutting the mountainside, descended into and ascended from Lush green valleys with mountain lakes. The way became increasingly forested as we went to the wild.
Norway is called the land of the fjords and(3000 kms) tunnels and you would see why if you took this route. We passed through about 50 tunnels of varying length on our way to Bergen!

It really got interesting when we approached Geilo which is one the main ski resorts in Norway. We were going up and up. Around the 900 metre mark the forest line turn in small bush and shortly Geilo and approaching the bush disappeared altogether. We started seeing snow and they were quiet a few rooftops with sod and grass growing on top of it! Apparently its a good form of insulation! in times past they used to put goats to keep it trim.

We started seeing snow and after a while we stopped and had a bit of a snowfight. We also stopped at a stave church , this is a ancient elaborately wooden chuch from Viking times.

We past roads at the highest point with wooden rods up to ten feet high at the side so cars can find the roads when there is a few foot of snow!

We saw a cool glacier called Hardanger, semi frozen lakes and Veringsfossen waterfall that dropped 330 metres! Coming near Bergen we came to the fjords. They were formed when glaciers retreated during the ice age and they provide breathtaking scenery. Lakes have reeds on the side of them and fyords are at sea level and have algae, thats how you tell the difference.

We drove the bus on to the Fyord ferry and took a cool ride across. The sun was shining when we got to Bergen at 8.15pm and there was loads to explore as it doesn't really get dark at all here... Heather has decided to fill you on today... im sure there will be a change in style!!

more photos to come once i get them downloaded to disc, only 1 damn internet connection at this place. I dont think I will become a novelist!!

Rock on



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0465s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb