Historic Bergen


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Western Norway » Bergen
August 15th 2019
Published: August 15th 2019
Edit Blog Post

August 14, 2019 – Bergen, Norway – Weather: 57°F/14°C, overcast, intermittent rain showers throughout the day – some light while others were torrential, wind 11.4 mph, humidity 76°



Located on Norway’s southwest coast Bergen is Norway’s second largest city and is the nation’s largest port. The city lies in a lush green mountain landscape which experiences 280+ days of rain each year. The city rose to prominence in the early 12thcentury due to its dried-cod trade. The old wharf area on the inner harbour is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage site and features wooden structures, or long houses, established by the Hanseatic League to carry on their commercial traffic.

Today we set out to explore Bergen first by taking a funicular ride that ascended 1,200 feet above sea level to the observation platform on Mt. Fløien. From the viewing area Bergen and the surrounding mountains and valleys were clearly laid out. Fortunately, we were one of the first groups up the mountain this morning and lucked into a temporary cloud/rain free zone. Atop the mountain there were a number of trails that lead into the forest where we had the opportunity to encounter Mountain Trolls.

Upon our return to the base of the mountain we commenced a walking tour that led us through the ancient buildings and alleyways of the Bryggen Wharf, the area that has gained the UNESCO World Heritage designation.

Our final stop was at the open air fish market where, after strolling through vendors tents, we opted to stay and have our lunch before wandering back to the ship. On our way we stopped at the Bergenhus Fortress and walked through the grounds before returning to the ship. On our sail away this evening, we were rewarded with a full rainbow. This evening’s entertainer was Paul Adams a British Comedian.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb