Norway - Horten


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Southern Norway
June 19th 2017
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Oslo Area

Ferry from Moss to Horten saves about 3.5 hours!

Sitting Area on Ferry to HortenSitting Area on Ferry to HortenSitting Area on Ferry to Horten

Extremely neat and well maintained.
The trip to Horten from Fjallbacka is only about a two and a half hour drive thanks to a short ferry ride across the Oslo Fjord which saves about three hours driving time to Oslo and then back down the western side of the fjord to Horten. (See map).

We arrived at Hege and Bjorge's house on Friday 16 June. Hege and May Elise met us with a wonderful welcome. Bjorge owns and operates a business which provides sound systems for various concerts and festivals. He is very busy this time of year and we didn't see him until Saturday morning. It was just fantastic to reconnect! We were last in Norway in 2000 when May Elise was just three years old. May Elise, Hege and Bjorge were in Minnesota in 2015 but we had never met Tage and Victoria. Tage is now 16 years old with a great sense of humor and loves to give hugs. Victoria is eight and we have come to refer to her as the "wild child". She is non-stop activity and always on the move!

Saturday was a beautiful day and we took a trip to the southern tip of the peninsula to an area called "Werdens Ende" which translates to "End of the World". Apparently the early settlers in the area believed that they could go no further south! It is an absolutely gorgeous park on the sea with unique rock outcroppings and extremely windy. On the way, we stopped to visit a Viking ship reconstruction.

We all stopped at Hege's parents' house on the way home. Rolf and Vigdis also live in Horten in a lovely condo with views of the sea. Vigdis prepared a true Norwegian treat of waffles, berries and ice cream! All in all, a busy but thoroughly enjoyable day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Tucked into the Car FerryTucked into the Car Ferry
Tucked into the Car Ferry

Ours is the black one second from the top in the middle.
Hege and Bjorge's HomeHege and Bjorge's Home
Hege and Bjorge's Home

This is a view of the back showing a relatively recent addition that Bjorge built with help from his brother. The house was built in the 30's and is typical of the style seen all over Norway.
Julian, May Elise and Tage at LunchJulian, May Elise and Tage at Lunch
Julian, May Elise and Tage at Lunch

Julian and May Elise are students at the same university and have been going together for about a year.
LunchLunch
Lunch

Julian, May Elise, Tage, Victoria and Lynn.
Breakfast Saturday MorningBreakfast Saturday Morning
Breakfast Saturday Morning

May Elise, Hege, Bjorge and Lynn
Archipelago with Werdens Ende at Bottom Archipelago with Werdens Ende at Bottom
Archipelago with Werdens Ende at Bottom

This shows the typical geography in this area. Hundreds of rocky islands.
Waiting for Lunch - Werdens EndeWaiting for Lunch - Werdens Ende
Waiting for Lunch - Werdens Ende

It was so windy that we ultimately had to move inside!
Viking Ship RecreationViking Ship Recreation
Viking Ship Recreation

There was a sign saying "You are welcome to come aboard." so we did!
Waffles, Berries and Brown CheeseWaffles, Berries and Brown Cheese
Waffles, Berries and Brown Cheese

The waffles are thin, soft and warm.
Working on the WafflesWorking on the Waffles
Working on the Waffles

Vigdis on the left.
More Waffles!More Waffles!
More Waffles!

Rolf in the background. Note the large bowl of ice cream!
Rolf, Vigdis and HegeRolf, Vigdis and Hege
Rolf, Vigdis and Hege

Rolf and Vigdis are now both retired. Rolf was a Commander in the Norwegian Marines and served many tours in NATO peacekeeping units around the world. Vidgis worked as a nurse.


Tot: 0.204s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0565s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb