Tromso - Gateway to the Arctic


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Northern Norway » Tromsø
November 19th 2017
Published: November 19th 2017
Edit Blog Post

15th November

After leaving Kristiansand on Sunday we sailed up the the west coast of Norway crossing into the Arctic Circle towards Tromso.



The Sunday night was choppy to say the least with a Force 9 blowing and 6 - 8 metre swells.

Monday morning brought calmer conditions and the captain apologised for the 'potholes' in the night.



We arrive in Tromso early morning Wednesday 15th and depart for Alta early morning (3.30 am) on the 16th.



Apart from the inclement weather on the sail up to Tromso we had a showing of the Northern Lights in the late evening of Tuesday, we were able to glimpse a quick peak before it calmed down.

One of the things to get to grips with is that sunrise is 09.30 am and sunset is 01.30 pm, we left the ship to go into the centre just after sunrise which was weird.



Tromso lies 400 kms inside the Arctic Circle and is the principal city of North Norway.

It has the most northern University, the most northern brewery and the most northern 18 hole golf course.



The city is situated on the island of Troms, the Gateway to the Arctic and used to be the HQ of the seal and walrus hunters and the starting point for several Arctic expeditions.



The temperate climate, it only gets down to -15 C in the winter!!! Is influenced by the Gulf Stream and is a reason that the population is expanding quickly.



Its history shows that man has been living here for over 4500 years and is a great centre for commerce.

During the war British planes sunk the German battleship Tirpitz just outside the city but Tromso itself suffered little damage during war.



Just as an aside, Aldalsnes where we should of called on Monday was razed to the ground by the Germans in WWII.





The city’s Polaria Science Museum is the place to find out all about the world of snow and ice.

Within its iceberg-shaped walls we can meet the local wildlife at a vast aquarium, experience an Arctic snowstorm or take a virtual trek through the frozen wilderness to encounter polar bears and see the mystical Northern Lights.



The walk around Tromso is dominated by the harbour and the many cafes were not open as we walked up the hill looking back over to the Cathedral.

Mount Storsteinen looks over the city and can be reached by cable car for great views, unfortunately it was not running during our visit.



And, if the experience leaves us thirsty, we're in luck; Tromsø has more bars than anywhere else in Norway!



As we walked back to return to the ship we were tempted by a restaurant serving reindeer carpaccio and steaks, but so near Xmas it wasn't right.



Poor Rudolf!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0575s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb