From Bodø to Narvik


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Northern Norway » Narvik
June 25th 2017
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Breakfast at the hostel included smoked salmon and Pâté before a walk to the shops to discover nothing opens on Sunday.back to the railway station where we caught the train to Rognan as Andy wanted to check out the Saltdal Museum and the Blodveimuseet (Blood Road Museum).

At Rognan there was no-one around so we left our bags in the waiting area and started to walk to the museums. We didnt have a map or wifi so stopped and asked the only person we had seen for directions. Some time later we came across another person who confirmed we were heading in the right direction. The Saltdal museum was the farmstead where the family of skipper Ellingsen lived from 1750's until the end of the nineteen century.

The Blood Road Museum tells of the lives and works of prisoners of war under the German occupation from 1942-1945. thousands of prisoners of war from Eastern Europe were sent north to build roads and railway. The conditions were inhuman and many died.

Back to the station via a different route Instead of yet another Andy shortcut. The way there had taken us 40 minutes and the way back took me 20.

Then back on the train to Fauske so that we could catch a bus to Narvik. Some Incredible scenery along the way and a ferry ride as well.

The bus driver asked us were we were going to stay in Narvik and said it was too far to walk and we should get a taxi. He then decided that he was a bit early so he would drive the bus up to our accommodation and drop us off. Glad he did as it was a lot longer than Imanticipted. People are very nice and friendly.

Across the road from the hotel is a cable car which runs until 1:00am in summertime. it was fantastic.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0586s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb