Bodø


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Northern Norway » Bodø
June 24th 2017
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

The train left Trondheim on time at 23:40 for Bodø. We were hoping that we would manage to get another sleeper but unfortunately for us everyone turned up. Thankfully, the sitting carriages weren't too crowded so we could spread out. The overhead lights were turned out. Not sure why they bothered as still left centre lights on and it doesn't get dark at all. No-body pulls down any of the blinds. The railway provides everyone with a blanket, a face mask and blow up pillow. Great view from the window but little sleep.

Andy and I were exhausted by the time we made it to Bodø at 9:15. The hostel were are staying at is only a short walk from the station. In fact there is a lift from the station to reception. Although we were early we were able to get our rooms, just needed to make the beds. It was great to have a shower and get into something clean. This place also has a laundry so time to get some washing done as well.

Unfortunately it is raining. Despite this, went for a walk to the harbour. Watched the Hurtegrueten ship come in and then walked into town such as it is. We passed the Salmon Center which gives some background on salmon fishing in Norway. This is strictly regulated for environmental, health and food safety. Norwegian fish farmers need to be licenced to operate a fish farm in Norway. They had some interesting items in the shop made from salmon leather.

Andy then saw a fishing and camping shop so had to have a look. The Norwegians are right into this but items are 2 to 3 times more expensive than Australia. We then had a kebab for lunch. The man who ran the shop was a refugee from Iran and has been in Norway since 1999 after 2 years in a camp in Germany.

Most of Bodø was destroyed during a Luftwaffe attack on 27 May 1940. Six thousand people were living in Bodø and 3,500 people lost heir homes. The Swedish Government helped build 107 apartments in the winter of 1941. This small area in the heart of Bodø is still called Svenskebyaen (the Swedish Town). Bodø was rebuilt after the war. This finished in 1956 with the completion of the new town hall.

We then visited the Norwegian National Museum Aviation and is the largest aviation museum in the Nordic countries covering about 10,000 square metre. The building is shaped like a hug propeller and contains both a civil and military collection of aircraft.

An early night tonight.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



25th June 2017

Great trip
We are enjoying your travels except for the lack of sleep!

Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0664s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb