USA Compared to Norway


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Eastern Norway
March 7th 2014
Published: March 7th 2014
Edit Blog Post

I will be comparing the United States of America to the country Norway. I will be comparing their poverty rates, education system, and the life expectancy for its citizens. The most common measure of poverty in the US is the poverty threshold. This measure recognizes poverty as a lack of goods and services. About 58.5% of Americans will spend at least one year below the poverty line at some point between ages 25 and 75. Poverty rates are higher in rural and inner city parts of the country. Compared to Norway where the poorest 38% of the people fare better, on average than the poorest 38% of Americans. In a recent survey, only 1.7% of Norwegians fell into the category of serious material poverty. All in all it is better to be poor in Norway than in the US.

The education in Norway is mandatory for all children aged 6-16. The school year in Norway runs from mid August to late June the following year. Higher education is anything upper secondary school, and normally last 3 years or more. To be accepted to most higher education schools you must have attained a general university admissions certificate. The literacy rate in Norway is 100% with a rank of 5 out of 194. The education in the US is provided both public and private schools. Education is compulsory over an age range starting between five and right ending somewhere between ages 16 and 18, depending on state. The literacy rate in the USA is 99% ages 7 and older can read and write. Norway has a better education system and literacy rate than the US.

Lastly, the life expectancy in the US is 78.64 years. Women live longer 81 years on average 76 for men. The life expectancy in Norway is 81.30 years. Women live longer 83.4 years and for men its 79.4 years. Women in both countries to live longer than men. All in all Norway is a better country than the US in these specific categories.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.061s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb