Walking Oslo


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Eastern Norway » Oslo
August 21st 2012
Published: August 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

September 10, 2011

7:00 A.M. on a cool, cloudy day found us in Oslo, Norway, the last full day of our 11 day Scandinavian/St. Petersburg cruise on the Emerald Princess.

Today we planned a walking tour of downtown Oslo following a self-guided tour from Rick Steve's travel book. Our walk took us first past the harbor and City Hall. A few blocks later we were climbing the steps beside the National Theater. A block further brought us to the Royal Palace. Leading up to the Palace is Karl Johans Gate (street), a main thoroughfare of downtown Oslo lined with shops, restaurants, and a couple of parks. At the other end of Karl Johans Gate we could see the Olso Cathedral and Train Station. Along the way we passed the Parliment Building and the Grand Hotel. We took time to sit in the central park and enjoy the city and watch the people go about their Saturday.

When we reached the Cathedral it was open for visiting. Outside there were the remains of hundred of flowers, candles, and notes left to honor those killed in the political massacre and bombing that had taken place less than a month before. The inside of the Cathedral was quite beautiful.

2 1/2 hours later we made our way back to the harbor where a large number of kids were playing in a 3 on 3 basketball tourney. A 5 minute walk along the harbor brought us back to the ship which sailed at 1:30.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.241s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0661s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb