Oslo, Norway: RCCL Jewel of the Seas Northern Europe Cruise


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Eastern Norway » Oslo
September 12th 2007
Published: September 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Akershus FortressAkershus FortressAkershus Fortress

Adventures with Toni Tours Group
We began the day with a sunrise arrival in Oslo. We enjoyed room service breakfast on our balcony, and set off for a hike up the trail to Aker Fortress Gardens, for a terrific view of the harbour. The ship docked a short walk from the fortress, making this a great place to start.
From here, we went in search of a 7-11 store to purchase a Dagskort Tourist Card for 60 kr for the public transport system (good for 24 hrs). The people of Oslo were very helpful in directing us in how to find one. While at 7-11, we were ahast at the price of a bottle of water. A 1 liter bottle cost $6.00 USD.
We hopped on the local tram for the 10 minute ride to Frogmer Park. It is a beautiful green space, filled with flower gardens and fountains and is home to the free Vigeland Sculpture Park. The sculptures were quite interesting, and we had fun mimicking the positions.
We hopped back on the tram to go to AkerBrugge. A beautiful waterfront area filled with shops and cafes. We enjoyed a local beer al fresco ($ 8.00 USD per pint), while soaking up the sunshine.
After a stroll along the waterfront, we caught the ferry over to Bygdoy. The scenic cruise through the harbor was beautiful and provided us with a view of the fjords off in the distance and the Hollenkollen ski jump up on the hillside. We made the uphill stroll to take a quick peek in the Viking Museum, to see a Viking ship on display. A short bus ride from there, took us to the other side of the Bygdoy Peninsula, where we caught the ferry back to AkerBrugge.
We strolled back to the ship and window shopped in some of the stores along the way. It was way too expensive to buy any souvenirs here.
We enjoyed a beautiful sail away from Oslo harbor as we passed small islands with colorful wooden houses. The Sky Bar provided a wonderful place to relax and enjoy the panoramic view.
The ladies ventured to the spa shortly thereafter, to enjoy a bit of pampering with a facial, neck and shoulder massage. We also enjoyed champagne while lounging in the thermal suite.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Vigeland Sculpture ParkVigeland Sculpture Park
Vigeland Sculpture Park

Tom and his new girlfriend.......
Oslo Harbor Sail AwayOslo Harbor Sail Away
Oslo Harbor Sail Away

Tom and Sophia


Tot: 0.45s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 73; dbt: 0.0808s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb