Amsterdam


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands
June 5th 2017
Published: June 8th 2017
Edit Blog Post

We had an uneventful trip from Reykjavik to Amsterdam and the good weather stayed with us. Our hotel in the "Centrum" was lovely and close to major attractions. We took Sunday afternoon to just walk around our neighborhood.

Monday was spent with our friends Ran and Marion Zurr who were gracious enough to be our tour guides for the day. They took us to the Koller-Muller (there are umlauts over the "o" and the "u") Museum about 45 km east of Amsterdam. This husband and wife team came from extreme wealth and started collecting art in the early twentieth century (approximately 12,000 pieces). They left their country estate of several hundred acres to the Netherlands as a park and museum. Among other things, it houses one of the largest collections of van Gogh outside the Rijksmuseum. We also spent a lovely time strolling the sculpture gardens.

We then headed for Naarden which is a beautifully restored fortress town. It makes you feel that you have been dropped back into the 17th century. We strolled around this picturesque village and then had an excellent dinner at a well known sidewalk cafe.

Overall, a truly wonderful day! Thanks again to Ran and Marion.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

At the hunting lodge.At the hunting lodge.
At the hunting lodge.

This is only one of many homes of the Koeller-Muellers.
Town Hall in Naarden.Town Hall in Naarden.
Town Hall in Naarden.

This is such a typical Dutch street scene.
Naarden Arial ViewNaarden Arial View
Naarden Arial View

We had dinner near the church.


Tot: 0.185s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0416s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb