Bruges


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands
August 26th 2012
Published: August 29th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Sunday

Several years ago we had watched a movie called In Bruges which we really liked so when I found a tour to Bruges in the tour brochure we decided to go. It was quite a long way, although it was advertised to be 2hrs it was in fact 3 hrs each way. 'If I had know that we probably wouldn't have gone which would have been a shame because it is a gorgeous old town nearly a 10 centuries old, a listed Unesco site, built around a canal system (called the Venice of the north) and really worth the visit. It turned out to be good call as although it teamed with rain all the way (much like home) the sun came out just as we we got out of the coach. We had a short tour on foot and then a canal tour before lunch in a lovely little tavern. There was a Salvador Dali exhibition in the town hall so we decided to see that. I remember seeing some of his work in the USA and liking it, the guy was a complete nutter but I really like his work. (Right up your alley Ali). The whole day was enhanced by a parade that is held every 5 years to honour the marriage between the local Prince and Princess Margaret from York with every body dressed in medieval costume. This caused a bit of chaos from 3 o'clock onwards as everyone loves a parade and the crowds were out to see it enforce.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.268s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0825s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb