From the ferry to Leerdam


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands
August 24th 2022
Published: August 24th 2022
Edit Blog Post

After a rude awakening at 5.30 over the ship's tannoy it was breakfast and then preparations for leaving the ship and beginning our journey. We were off the ship for nine o'clock into glorious sunshine. Getting through immigration consisted of showing our passports at a small kiosk and out of the Terminal we went. Paul had plotted a route along the Oude Maas river, a distributary of the River Rhine. There are lots of cycle paths in the area but some take you right through the docks and we have done this for the first eighteen miles of a trip. Not the most scenic route.

Our route was through the Biesbosch' National Park, a protected nature reserve and the largest freshwater tidal area in Europe with lots of wild willow tidal forests and creeks. There were hundreds of swans and Canadian geese about and lots of sheep who looked far too hot in their woolly coats.

We headed east all day on purpose built cycle paths, nearly always at the side of water.

We had to go off the route at Barendrecht to find a supermarket to buy sandwiches for lunch. Cycle paths are great things but tend to skirt round the edges of places rather than go through them. Mid afternoon we stopped at a cafe for ice cream and a cold drink which was much needed as it was very hot. Passing through one village we came upon a float , in the middle of the river, featuring Andre Rieu and some of his orchestra. A little different but nice at the same time!

We arrived in Leerdam late afternoon and easily found the hotel. After a shower and a coffee we walked into the centre of town which is only small but pretty. Leerdam is famous for its cheese and glass making. A meal at the Italian restaurant completed the day.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.223s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0462s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb