Breskens


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » Zealand » Breskens
October 8th 2014
Published: November 22nd 2014
Edit Blog Post

8thOctober



Zeebrugge to Berskens 17nm



A quick trip up to Berskens today...finally we’ve made it to the Netherlands (can’t say Holland as that’s like an area in the middle of the Netherlands!) When we got in, we tied up on the visitors dock and tried to call the Marina Office, but were told by a very helpful Belgian guy that he was probably not answering as he should be out for lunch...go up there about 3pm he suggested. So we settled in for a cup of tea and waited. Later we checked in, returned to the boat and moved it up to the end of the dock as there as supposed to be lots of boats coming in on Friday for a race to Antwerp on Saturday. About an hour later there was a knock on our door...Customs had arrived. We explained that we had already checked in and been cleared in France. They were quite convinced that we could only stay for 6mths in Netherlands with the boat. But after that 6mths, we could sail out 12nm, turn around and our time would start again. Phil patiently explained that all our research indicates that once we arrive in EU countries, we have 18mths to travel before we pay VAT, we understand EU rules, Shengen rules, but have never heard about this 6mth rule. They came on board, asked all the questions that we’ve already been through in France, looked at all our paperwork from Azores, and France entry and told us they’d go back to their office to check on this 6mth rule and would return tomorrow at 2pm to let us know the result. Hmmmmmm. Wonder if we now have to go to Antwerp (Belgium) for a few weeks with boat. Don’t think so, did more research online and can’t find any 6mth rule. Went up to the bar with ‘old mate Roger’ who we had met earlier on the end of the dock. An interesting few hours...he was very opinionated and became more so with each beer he had. He introduced Phil to a few Belgium beers (9%) and the bar lady tried to introduce me to a few too. In the end she was giving us the glasses for each beer that Phil had tried. We now have 3 nice glasses on board that we will be taking home!! Back to boat for Golden Syrup dumplings and custard for dinner.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.365s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0806s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb