Den Haag in The Sun


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » South Holland
May 21st 2015
Published: July 18th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 52.0767, 4.29861

After enjoying the traditional European breakfast of meats, cheeses, boiled eggs, dry cereal, yogurt, breads, jellies and spreads along with hot tea and coffee, this morning found us on the bike path from Gouda to Den Haag. It was still windy but the sun was shining. Our early morning start found us in the midst of people going to work and kids going to school, all by bike. It's amazing how young some of the kids appear to be and they are riding bikes to school. No one around here rides slowly either. Bikes are crisscrossing between different paths across streets and around corners mixing in with car traffic and trams and everyone knows where to go and how to maneuver. Another interesting fact about the bike paths here is that motor cycles and scooters are allowed on the path. Anyway, the ride was an easy, straight forward path which took us straight to Den Haag without even needing a map.

We arrived in Den Haag before 11:30 giving us time to explore some of the highlights of the city. We began with a picnic lunch along one of the canals. Since it was a nice day there were several workers also having their lunch outdoors and enjoying the sunshine.

We then did some browsing at the outdoor Art and Antique Market. Here people with a love of antiques can buy old prints, books, paintings, and objects of art.

Our next destination was the Paleis Noordeinde. The city has been the living and working residence of the House of Orange for four centuries. This is the King's working palace. It is surrounded by boutiques and galleries.

Along the streets there are shops to satisfy everyone. There are clothing stores for men, women, kids, shoe stores, cafes, restaurants, pubs, specialty shops, and sweet shops. In the squares there are outdoor restaurants and in most cases they are crowded with patrons.

By now we were ready for a short rest before heading out for dinner which tonight was at an Irish Pub. We both had the cottage pie. It came highly recommended by the bartender and it indeed was good. After dinner we did a stroll around the shopping streets again but this time the crowds were greatly reduced since most of the shops were closed. We figured since everyone else had gone in for the day we would also.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Police On StrikePolice On Strike
Police On Strike

Striking for Higher Wages
Local TransportationLocal Transportation
Local Transportation

Diesel Fuel Lower than Regular
Dinner at O,MalleysDinner at O,Malleys
Dinner at O,Malleys

Beer was Grolsch- Premium Pilsner, light in color


Tot: 0.274s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0591s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb