Exploration Rotterdam...


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » South Holland » Rotterdam
July 7th 2008
Published: July 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

It would be fair to say that after day one, Laura and I were exhausted. So waking up at 10.30 on our first day was really an achievement . After solving the usual puzzle of a new shower system we dressed as tourists and headed into the city.

As usual Laura was "Little miss photograph" asking me to stop every five minutes to take pictures of me standing next to things or pointing at them looking interested. Looking back at the photos she has taken though i must say that they are quite good.

The shopping is good in Rotterdam and there seems to be shops to cater for absolutly everything. Except for one thing that is... a woman's fleece, we looked everywhere but there wasn't one. Usually this would not have been a problem in July according to the locals, but the weather today was abismal.

The city still has managed to shine, we walked to the erasmus bridge so that i could take a look at it's unusual design, it looks like a giant swan on the river, quite stunning actually.

We managed to find a place to eat in the city, a cafe inside a department store. It was unfortunate that we had to spend so long in doors because of the rain, but Rotterdam is still beautiful inside. I have to say that the cakes in Holland are amazing, tasty and beautiful.

We went to get some tea later on but beacuse the dutch don't have milk in there their tea things went a bit wrong. We got a couple of pots of tea between us and Laura pre-poured our "Milk". Which turned out to be cream, earl grey with cream is not a great mix... Don't try it.

We went for dinner at Sarojini's mothers and so in two days we met all of Erik and Sarojini's parents. She made some fantasitic food and we drank some really nice wine as well. Tera, Sarojini's sister had made a speacil custard desert in my honour. I had shocked her when she had come to visit her sister in Engalnd by eating a massive bowl of cold custard for my lunch. But it was lovely of her to go to the effort and it was a gorgeous desert.

We came home with our bellys full of food and had a bottle of wine with Sarojini and one of her friends. We watched a film called Repultion by Roman Polanski it was a little strange but it was ok.

Tommorow, the zoo.

Stuart
..
U


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0667s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb