Exploring Leiden


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » South Holland » Leiden
May 31st 2006
Published: May 31st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Arrived in Amsterdam on Saturday and made our way from schipold airport to a really nice hotel. Leaving England was not as quick as we wanted. We made our way from London to Heathrow airport via the tube and bus and boarded our plane at 4 p.m. However, there was some sort of problem and we sat in the plane for an hour before we got to the runway. As the plane started down the runway it pulled off on a taxi way and we were informed that we had burned up so much fuel waiting that we had to refuel. Two hours later we finally took off.

Holland is truly beautiful and we are enjoying the old buildings and history.

We checked in on the barge, the Anna Marie Agnes, on Saturday and then went into downtown Amsterdam to find Terry some new running shoes and dinner. We are always on the lookout, at least Brian is, for some Dutch or Danish pastry!!!! Made our way back to the barge & had supper. Food on the barge is really good, very simple and healthy but lots of pork!

The first day, Sunday we got our bikes, 7 speeds and very heavy, and rode 80 km. Saw lots of windmills, old buildings and a castle. did I mention we biked 80 Km? Most of the guests on the barge are German with little english skills but we found a family from Canada and are spending some time with them. They are originally from Holland and know it well. Did I mention we biked 80 km on the first day?

Next day we did a mere 40km with very sore behinds, or as Brian calls them "monkey butts".

Day 3 and 4 we walked. It has been rainy and windy and cold the whole time.

We have now seen Rotterdam, Deft, The Haig, Leiden, Gouda, and some other places that we can't spell at the moment. There has been some fantastic art, van dermeer, rembrandt and lots of other dutch masters. We noticed that there are few places where we can find non smoking seats. The one thing we really don't like.

Today we actually went looking for clothes and I picked up a couple of sweaters and long sleeved tops. So Terry is very happy and looking forward to some clean clothes.
We are really enjoying ourselves, did I mention we biked 80 km the first day? and are really enjoying this last couple of days of walking.

Sorry we cant put any pictures on today because this internet cafe is sadly equipped and this computer does not have a usb port.

Hope all is well at home. Love ya

Advertisement



1st June 2006

Brian and Terry: Did you actually ride 80km? Hard to remember after reading an extensive message! Glad to hear from you guys. Have fun see you in July
1st June 2006

Dinner
Hi Guys, I haven't been to Amsterdam in many years now, but I spent a lot of time there in the 70's. One of my favorite places to eat was at an Indonesian restaurant for "Rice Table". It is a meal with many, many small dishes that all have different tastes, but they complement each other. Wonderful experience. If you still have the time and inclination...... Cheers, Bev

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0381s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb