New Year


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » South Holland » Leiden
December 29th 2006
Published: January 29th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hans BrinkerHans BrinkerHans Brinker

The Finger in the Dyke. Outside Madurodam
So one night in Frankfurt with a bit of brief shopping and an early night for an early rise to head to amsterdam. Got to amsterdam and said bye to Leeza who was going to head to Scotland to spend new year with some friends she had made at Camp America. Traveled down to Leiden hired a van and eventually found our hotel in Sassenheim. A quick Nana nap and a bit to eat and we are off driving to find Zoeterwoulde. My directions got us there fairly quickly and finding Hermiens and Wim and Reits houses wasnt too hard once in Zouterwoulde. Neither were home but we went for a ticky tour to check out the farm where Dads Dad was born and grew up. Was interesting and the boys got a kick out of the style of farming. Then went back to Wim and Reits to say hello and this time they were home and organising coming to Sassenheim to say hello but we beat them to it. All the Dutchies came round there instead and it was great to catch up and say hello again!. The next day was a trip to Madurodam also known as Mini Holland.
MadurodamMadurodamMadurodam

Also known as 'Mini Holland'
Its all minature models of impressive buildings like the Rijks museum and loads more. Was a little dirty but i think it may be because its coming to end of the season and a spruce up will happen soon but even so it was still very impressive and fascinating.
That night we went to a football match down in Rotterdam between Rotterdam Sparta and FC Twente. It wasnt as big as the UEFA or the Champions League but it was still good fun and the crowd really got into it. Thanks Roel for sorting that out!!
New Years Eve Day was a family outing to Amsterdam which started out really slow but we got to Amsterdam by midday and had to be leaving round 330pm so it was a quick trip around the city really. Mum and Nanny and Chris did Anne Franks house, Becca and Bob did their own thing and went to the van Gogh museum and bought themselves a couple of prints. The rest of us did a ticky tour of the Dam Square and the main shopping street and a few others that lead us to a cathedral in the middle of town and all round it were a lot of Xrated stores and windows. Found another square and a cafe that wasnt full of smoke and had ourselves a coffee. While people kept lighting fireworks and my gosh they were loud!! but really quite neat.
We left Becca, Bob and Daniel in Amsterdam where they got a few lessons in foreign city night life, but all good. The rest of us went round to Hermiens house for a more traditional and family orientated start to the evening. Card games, Yahtzee and some wooden game thing (I cant remember the name of it sorry) but it was really good! Midnight came around and champagne for everyone including Chris, all the traditional kisses and hugs and happy new years and then outside to watch the fireworks. They were amazing and you could even see and hear the fireworks from the next village over. Thanks Pete for your fireworks!! Brilliant. And a big Thankyou to Hermien and the others for a great night and the Olliebollens, Appelflaps and the Ertwen Soup!!! Really Good!!
Then it was time for Roel, Bram, Geert, Doe and I to head down to their local pub to meet up with their friends and a few more beers and a boogy. A good time was had.
New Years day came around and it was Nannys birthday and to start the day (and year) in style it was a champagne breakfast. All good. Before a good walk around Leiden which was just a tad empty due to nothing being open. A coffee at a pub/bar and then a good afternoon nana nap before heading out to Toos and Joosts for dinner. Dinner was great. A big thank you to Toos and Joost and Enike and Riet and Wim for the lovely food!!!
And the 2nd came really too fast but it was time for me to head back to London and work on the 3rd.
I hope everyone else had a great and safe Festive season!!
Till next time....................


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

CarnivalCarnival
Carnival

Madurodam
Army TanksArmy Tanks
Army Tanks

Madurodam
Duck and a tractorDuck and a tractor
Duck and a tractor

Madurodam. An indication of scale
MeMe
Me

Madurodam
KLM Plane nose KLM Plane nose
KLM Plane nose

almost looks real..... Madurodam


Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.071s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb