TB Meetup to Pieterskerk, (St. Peters Church), Leiden, Netherlands


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » South Holland » Leiden
May 15th 2017
Published: February 13th 2023
Edit Blog Post

A nice Dutch lady was a TB friend, and she met me outside the Rembrandt Hotel to guide me on a walking tour of beautiful Leiden. (Dutch hospitality is alive and well in Leiden.)

We walked by what she told me was an old jail-prison. We walked through Leiden and arrived at the impressive Pieterskerk. (Somehow I lost my pics of the inside of this fine old church.)

According to Wikipedia construction of this large structure started in 1390 AD and continued for about 180 years. This church had much bad luck including on March 1512 the 110 meter high Westtoren (West Tower) collapsed and was never rebuilt. In about 1566 the Beeldenstorm (fanatical religious nut-jobs that vandalized church stained glass windows, paintings and statues throughout Western Europe) damaged much in this fine old church. Later in January 1807 a gunpowder explosion damaged this church and some of that area in Leiden. There were a number of needed restorations done here over the years. In 1971 Pieterskerk was deconsecrated, and remains open to the public.

We walked through Leiden and made a brief stop at Harteburgkerk to see this church. We continued walking and I enjoyed the view of the confluence of the Oude Rijn & the Nieuwe Rijn (the old and the new Rhine Rivers).

completed


Additional photos below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

nice old buildingnice old building
nice old building

Leiden two keys


Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0216s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb