Alle goede avonturen beginnen in Nederland (All Good Adventures Start in The Netherlands)


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » Province of Utrecht » Utrecht
December 30th 2011
Published: December 31st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Biking to the Pancake HouseBiking to the Pancake HouseBiking to the Pancake House

A quick stop for a photo!
Today we boarded our British Airways flight in Toronto to start our latest adventure! Our plane left about an hour late because it was snowing quite hard in Toronto, and the plane needed to be de-iced. We were worried that we would miss our connection in London, but luckily, we made up most of the time in the air. Unluckily, once we arrived in London, the plane had to circle the airport a few times waiting for a chance to land... so we did miss our connection. They booked us on the next flight though, so we were only an hour late getting into Amsterdam. And, British Airways gave us £20 to spend at Starbucks, for our inconvenience, so we loaded up before we got on our next flight.

Sander and Annelie met us in the airport in Amsterdam and it was very exciting to meet up with them again. The last time we saw them was on our last big trip, a year and a half ago, so it was nice to see them.

Once we hauled all of our baggage to the train and arrived at Sander and Annelie's place in Utrecht, we had a nice lunch
Who's that beautiful chap in front?Who's that beautiful chap in front?Who's that beautiful chap in front?

Still breaking for a photo!
and went out on a biking adventure. We rode to Amelisweerd, a forested area just outside of Utrecht. We took a nice long walk through the forest and stopped at a small pancake house in the middle of the woods. Sander and Annelie shared an apple and raisin pancake and we shared an apple and candied ginger pancake... mmmm.

On our way home, Sander's bike (that Mike was riding) had a problem so we had to walk it home. Thankfully, we were over half way home when the bike stopped, so it only took about 20 minutes to walk home.

Annelie made a very nice quiche for dinner and afterwards we enjoyed a couple of games of Dutch Blitz. As it turns out, it's not a Dutch game at all... but Sander and Annelie were quite good at it. Well, at least, by the end of the second game, Sander was fairly good at finishing the game with a score above zero... Annelie was just plain awesome!

And that was the end of our first day... tomorrow is New Year's Eve!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Some WWII BunkersSome WWII Bunkers
Some WWII Bunkers

Remnants of the Dutch defensive line.


Tot: 0.429s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 63; dbt: 0.2008s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb