Saturday 2nd August


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » Province of Utrecht » Utrecht
August 2nd 2008
Published: August 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hallo all from the land of the tulips (not that I've seen any yet!). We're having a great time, been visiting the family today...not much to report as I didn't understand anything, but hey, I think Daniel enjoyed it! We went past the house where Daniel's father grew up in Holland - that was quite cool. The houses here are in way better condition then in NZ. Oh, and happy birthday Dad H - we hope you had a great day.
We went to Tante Bep and Oom Jan for morning tea. They seem nice, he speaks a little English, but besides learning he was in Indonsia in the war we didn't really talk much more, except he said I was a fine lady and Daniel had good taste, how sweet! (Daniel says Oom Jan kept telling heaps of jokes.)
We then went back to Oom Johan and Tante Nancys for lunch - oh, really cool here because we get to eat heaps of yummy Dutch food that is normally saved for treats back home, like Dutch chocolate hail, applestroop, wafel thingees, biscotte, etc (ps excuse the spelling, I'm just an accountant as my sister pointed out).
We then went to Tante Nellie's for afternoon tea, but first Oom Johan brought us the house were Daniel's Mum's parents lived and we happened to see his Oom Frans there. He's doing up the house, but boy, what a messy house - you can hardly even walk through the garage to get to the living room! Anyway, we went on to Tante Nellie's, I hardly recognised her as she's changed quite a bit since she was here 6 year ago for Ed and Liana's wedding. Again, not much to report as I didn't understand anything! Common theme!
The country side round here is so cute, massive houses, lots of land, lots of those straw roofed houses, and what I find most amusing is the paddocks with cows in it with no fences, just a gate - they use canals instead of fences! Oh, and Dion you would love it here were we're staying - there's a church just down the road that dongs every hour (however many times it is on that hour) and once every half an hour! Just up you alley!
Tonight we had a dinner with two of Oom Johan and Tante Nancy's children, Richard and Ester, and Richards girlfriend, and another friend. We had a BBQ (while it started to spit - typically NZ BBQ weather), and we fried on these little grill things - like the little pan meals, but without the pans. Oh, and the coolest thing is they actually have these ready made meat platters to use for frying - that saves heaps of time! Tante Nancy is feeding us heaps - just like Beppe, so we're full and happy!
Tomorrow we meet Oom Jan and Tante Adre where I can once again sit and listen to gooble-de-goop, and eat yummy food! Then we're headed up to Friesland where we'll meet my Beppe.
Tot ziens.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Grill DinnerGrill Dinner
Grill Dinner

From left starting with Daniel, Oom Johan, Dania (Richard's girlfriend), Polish friend, Richard, Ester (Daniel's cousins) and Tante Nancy
Photo from EnglandPhoto from England
Photo from England

To prove we were there - should have been on yesterday's blog.


3rd August 2008

Hey Guys, cool photos! Its nice to be able to see recent photos of the family. I reckon you might be putting on weight with all the amount of food you're eating!! Good on ya!!
3rd August 2008

Hallo, hoe is't?
Hi guys, sounds like you're having a great time and catch-up with family, and avoiding a constant lashing of wet weather here in Christchurch! Look forward to hearing more soon.
3rd August 2008

Fun
Looks like you guys are having a blast! I am super super jealous. Wish we were have the nice warm weather! Not much to report same old thing! Enjoying being the treasurer....Dont worry I have everything under control :)
3rd August 2008

Hi, it's very confusing over here as everyone seems to be called Pieter-Willim, family names, I keep thinking they are talking about you - but apparently not!
3rd August 2008

Good to hear you have it under control. I'm sure you are more then capable! Hey, you guys must have made it to Auckland in time for their big storm too - maybe you are dragging the weather around with you!
3rd August 2008

I forgot, apparently Oom Frans in Tante Plonia's husband. And Plonia is a funny name here just as much as in NZ!
3rd August 2008

Sounds like Opa's house is still just as I remember it then!
3rd August 2008

Hi, if you see any of my rellies, please pass on my 'groetjes'! Sounds like you are having a great time, but you should have studied up on some Dutch before you left - you should have said and I could have spoken Dutch to you at work!
4th August 2008

Dutch Language
Heh guys. Looks like you are having a great time. We have enjoyed reading the blogs. Where are those 2 terms of Dutch lessons Monique? Thought you would have it all nailed now. Nice you are enjoying the sun while we enjoy another day of rain!!! Take care. Love Dad

Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0575s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb