FAREWELL TO THE HAGUE AND HELLO AMSTERDAM


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
August 7th 2017
Published: August 8th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Amsterdam Train StationAmsterdam Train StationAmsterdam Train Station

On the Road again!
Travel days are always a bit gruelling when traveling with baggage. Today's trip however was all on the trams and metro system of the Netherlands which is really quite a remarkable system, although a bit confusing at times. We did successfully make our journey which took about 3 hours with a stop for some train waiting. We are now in Amsterdam at a hotel 20 mins from the centre of town.

Following a siesta to recover from the train / tram travel, we took the Metro into the heart of Amsterdam. Summer in Amsterdam is busy with people on the move in all directions. We ventured into the narrow pedestrian streets to have our senses overwhelmed with the sights and smells of this crazy place. Of course you cannot miss the various shops selling all manner of kinky sex gadgets. Some stuff I could not believe or wrap my brain around ????. Some really eye opening stuff.

The canals and old architecture are beautiful. The streets were very crowded and we could hear lots of people who were curious to see the famous Red Light District. We ventured into the famous area where we saw a few "ladies" in the windows. As it was early in the evening things were just beginning to get started. Curiosity is what filled the streets more than people partaking in what was for offer. However, we did see a small number of people entering the shows which were being offered. We did our own walk of curiosity and saw some girls in the windows. They were all quite young and well endowed. All dressed in bikinis. However, we did not stay for any shows. We can now say we have seen the famous Red Light District.

We eventually meandered back to the narrow streets full of hotels and restaurants where we enjoyed a nice coffee and pastry before getting back on the Metro to our hotel. As we crossed on of the many canals we looked up to see a gorgeous full moon which was right between two towers of an old gothic church. People were snapping pictures of the beautiful sight being presented to us by Mother Nature herself. How lovely it was to see.

After a bit of confusion on the Metro, we figured out how to get back to our Kronenburg station and relax for the night. It was an eventful and busy first day with more to come.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Amsterdam Amsterdam
Amsterdam

Canal view
STONES Bar and BistroSTONES Bar and Bistro
STONES Bar and Bistro

Had to take a photo, of course!
Moulin Rouge TheatreMoulin Rouge Theatre
Moulin Rouge Theatre

Amsterdam Red Light area
French fry sign and Stones Bar & BistroFrench fry sign and Stones Bar & Bistro
French fry sign and Stones Bar & Bistro

Narrow pedestrian street view
Another TheatreAnother Theatre
Another Theatre

Red Light District


Tot: 0.225s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0515s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb