Amsterdam


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
July 1st 2017
Published: July 1st 2017
Edit Blog Post

A slow start to the day saw us grab something for breakfast and then run for the train. In Amsterdam, we stopped for a coffee/beer before going to the Heineken Experience. Andy asked for a flat white for me. It came in a very small cup and was very, very strong. It was pouring with rain at this stage and so we bought a couple of umbrellas.

At the Heineken Experience, we were glad we had prepaid as we could walk straight in rather than stand in the rain waiting for admittance. it is a self guided tour with lots of staff on hand giving talks or providing advice. It is a very family oriented business from its early beginnings. I hadn't realised that the e's the label are smiling e's. It is a good tour with lots of information, activities and of course the beer tasting.

From here we went to check out the queuse for the Anne Frank House. This was very, very long so we decided to climb the Westerkirk tower. and do Anne Frank later. The tower has small groups of 6 climb every 30 minutes. There are 182 stairs most up steep ladders. The view up the top was worth it though.

While waiting for our time slot, I went and visited the Tulip Museum and Andy visited the Cheese Museum. Tulips arrived in the Netherlands around 1550 from the Ottoman Empire. There is period known as Tulipomania between 1634 and 1637 where there was huge speculation on tulips that nearly bankrupt the country. During the war, food shortages forced people to eat the bulbs for subsitance.

Andy's only comment on the Cheese Museum, don't go there to buy cheese.

After the tower, a quick rest and then on to the streets of the Red Light District. The women in the windows appear very bored and a lot were playing on their phones, smoking and generally looking disinterested. There were 100's of people out and about. There is a Museum of Prostitution which we decided to look at. This is right in the middle of the Red Light District and is set up in an old brothel and shows you behind the scenes from the windows. There is of course the opportunity to sit in one of the 2 red windows.

Bite to eat and another run for the train and back to Weesp.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0284s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb