Amsterdam...need we say more?


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
August 22nd 2006
Published: September 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

We had our own personal tourguides of Amsterdam as Irene's roomate Pascal was born there. As well, her boyfriend takes the clients from international confrences that he works at on a tour of Amsterdam. So we saw a few hidden secrets. There was a facade of a tiny church along one of the main padestrian shopping streets squished between 2 clothing stores. But the church was much larger than we expected. Then in the center of the city we went through this passage way. It led to square where all the nuns lived, sort of like the one we just saw in Brugge. Again, it was so strange to have peace and quiet right in the middle of this busy city. This courtyard is only open to the public 4hrs out of the day. We then went to the Riejkmuseum which holds a large collection of Dutch artists. The most famous being Rembrants "Night Watch". A canal ride was our next adventure. It was so sunny and warm that I ended up falling asleep for most of it :S Anne Franks house had a massive line but we waited anyways. I have never read the book but after seeing the house and hearing her story I would really love to get my hands on the book. It was just so interesting, and very sad. It is so hard to imagine living like that, never being able to go out. I probably couldn't bare it! When I met everyone outside of the shop, Irene and Pascal were giggling like school girls and my sister had a really confused look on her face. Apparently they just saw DJ Tiesto - the number one DJ in the world! (Hmmm...has anyone ever heard of him?) To prove it she showed us a DVD of his concert. I've decided that DJ's are meant to be listened to ONLY and not watched (Imagine watching a guy in the middle of a stage bobbing his head for about 2hrs). Anyways, to make our visit to Amsterdam complete we took a stroll down the red light district. But many of the windows were closed, so either everyone one was off, or it was a really busy day! The best part was watching this Japanese tour group go through and they all had their videocameras and cameras out. Well, everyone knows that you NEVER take pictures in the red light district. We witnessed the poor tourists get dumped with water from above as a warning. At least we assume it was water...

Amie

Advertisement



24th September 2006

I think there is something missing from this visit...
Hey, That is really cool that you got the tour. Definately means you can see more then you would have say, when you are just wandering around for the sake of wandering. I totally know what you are talking about with the DJ thing. Talk about BORING!!! I cant help but notice a little something missing from your visit to Amsterdam. Was there any cafe visits? I know how much you girls have been enjoying the coffee lately ;) Cheers, Cathy

Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0486s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb