My favorite Amsterdam veggie spots


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
February 20th 2015
Published: March 2nd 2015
Edit Blog Post

Now alternative restaurants are mainstream is seem strange to think that there was a time, not so long ago, when being a vegetarian was a bit quirky, and as for vegans - well, they were considered seriously weird. Back in the 60’s even the proponents of healthy eating thought themselves somewhat out of the ordinary; David and Kay Canter and Daphne Swann opened a wholefood restaurant in London’s swinging Carnaby Street in 1961 and called it Cranks.

From those early years there has been an increasing awareness and interest in nutrition, healthy eating, animal welfare and climate change so today many people embrace the no meat and/or non dairy option. Restaurants offering such fare flourish around the world, not least in Holland’s capital city, Amsterdam. There are many to chose from but here is a selection of some of the more popular ones.

1. Restaurant De Waaghals

Frans Halsstraat 29 1072 BK Amsterdam Netherlands
Tel: +31 20 679 9609

The name means Dare Devil and the food is creative and exciting. They like to ring the changes by varying the menu twice a month and focusing on food from different countries. Organic ingredients are used whenever possible and there is a large selection of drinks to accompany your meal from teas, juices, beers and local wines.

On a warm evening you can eat outside and watch the world go by. The restaurant is open from 5.00 pm to 9.30 pm but book in advance to be sure of getting a table.

2. De Bolhoed

Prinsengracht 62 1015 DX Amsterdam Netherlands
Tel: +31 20 626 1803

This vegan/vegetarian restaurant, in a charming canal side location, goes by the name of “The Bowler Hat”, as it took over the premises of a former hat shop. Some quirky modern art work gives it a lively, informal atmosphere. The ingredients are organically sourced and they serve a good selection of hot and cold dishes with an international flavour - many of them vegan or they can be adapted. Unlike a lot of vegetarian restaurants it is open all hours and serves breakfast/brunch, lunch, and dinner. The soup is good, the cake portions generous and it’s family friendly too! Booking advised for the evenings.

3. Betty's Restaurant

Rijnstraat 75 1079 GX Amsterdam Netherlands

Tel: +31 20 644 5896
This delightful restaurant dates back to 1988 so has stood the test of time. It has consistently good reviews and is the best choice if you stay a little further south (Rijnstraat area) of the centre like I did. It offers a three course menu as well as other dishes. The owners have travelled extensively and have picked up ingredients and inspiration from around the world. Good wines too. Booking is essential and this can be done instantly on the website (Google Translate helps as the website is in Dutch). The history of the dishes are explained but if you are interested in learning more of their secrets you can join in one of their cookery workshops - the best bit is eating the results. You can take a look at some of their special ingredients and even buy them from their webshop . Mmmm tempting!

4. De Vliegende Schotel - The Flying Saucer
Admiraal de Ruijterweg 331 1055 LZ Amsterdam Netherlands
Tel: +31 20 625 2041 Times: 12.00 - 21.30

Would it be too corny to say that the food in this restaurant is out of this world?...Sorry about that. What is a fact is that this restaurant has the distinction of being Amsterdam’s oldest vegetarian establishment and, having been around for 32 years, the cooking is deliciously down to earth. The interior is interestingly a cross between primary school and Granny’s parlour. Latterly the new owners have been influenced by Indian and Ayurveda styles of cuisine, including super nutritious sprouted grains and seeds. The organic seasonal ingredients are carefully sourced and the wines selected from small producers in France who use the minimum amount of chemicals. There is a dish of the day and weekly specialities too. Book early to avoid disappointment!

5. Maoz Franchise B.V.
Damrak 40 1012 LK Amsterdam Netherlands
Tel: +31 20 450 9987

No time to stop? Try veggie food to go! Who says fast food can’t be healthy? With their green “Veg Out” logo and and a chain of international restaurants Maoz have proved they have a winning recipe. The first Maoz restaurant opened in the heart of Amsterdam back in 1991. Their signature dish is the Maoz Sandwich - a white or wholemeal pita bread stuffed with falafel balls (made with chickpeas, parsley, and spices) topped with your own choice of salads and sauces. Add some sweet potato fries and wash down with one of their deliciously healthy drinks and you’ve got yourself a veggies treat in minutes. Lots of other choice too.

Eet smakelijk - Or as I'd say in my language - enjoy your meal :-)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.247s; Tpl: 0.036s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0574s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb