Shifting from WW1 to WW2


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
November 13th 2014
Published: November 13th 2014
Edit Blog Post

We left Bruges yesterday and started to trek towards Amsterdam. On our way, we shifted our focus from Canada's contributions to WW1 to WW2. As we passed through Belgium and into Netherlands, the countryside was continually dotted with war cemeteries - a constant reminder of what happened here. Our first stop was at a War Cemetery just outside Bergen op Zoom. It was the resting place of many Canadians - with Oct and Nov 1944 being heavy times of Canadian losses. The cemetery was immaculate. It was beautiful and well-taken care of. We discovered that local school children take care of the graves - as a way to show appreciation to the Canadians who had liberated their town. It is an honour to be a care-taker and the children with the highest grades get this honour. The children are taught, very early on, about their town's history and plight and how the Canadians played such a key role in saving this town. Just a few weeks ago, Bergen op Zoom celebrated 'Canadays' - 70th anniversary of the liberation. Mr. Wotherspoon's parents were here, bringing the ashes of a fellow general who fought with Mr. W's grandfather to liberate Bergen op Zoom. The alderman welcomed us warmly, served us lunch (the desserts were incredible) and then the boys gave a performance for the locals - finishing with the Dutch National Anthem. Yes, another goosebump moment. We were then treated to ice cream from one of the shops in the town square. Our final experience was to visit 'Canadalaan' - a row of houses that fly the Canadian flag (this was the street the soldiers entered the town on) to honour Canada's role in their history. I remain in awe of how deep the gratefulness that this Dutch generation still holds for Canada.

Onward to Amsterdam and settling into our new hotel. BIKE! - became our new rallying cry as bikes rule this city (even cars must stop for them). It is very refreshing to see so many people on bikes and cruising (at a very fast pace!) all around the city. We learned quickly to not stay on the red brick bike paths and you must constantly be on the look out. A group dinner at Five Flies - a very cool restaurant that is actually 5 houses joined together with incredible nooks and crannies, staircases, narrow passages that connects all the houses completed our day. The weather is very pleasant about 12 degrees although the locals find it chilly 😊

We are heading out for a 'tourist' day soon - stayed tuned for another update later on! Trish

Advertisement



Tot: 0.215s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0408s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb