Mini & Maxi Amsterdam


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
May 28th 1993
Published: November 15th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


HollandHollandHolland

Paul walking over the bridge in Monnickendam
UK & Europe, May 1993



This was our 2nd visit to Amsterdam as well. We stopped over for business previously for a couple of days, before heading to London.



Monnickendam just outside Amsterdam was where we stayed and we both enjoyed walking around the streets. It is like a mini Amsterdam with its canals and bridges. Today it is a small fishing village but was an important port around the 15th century.



The next day we went to another tourist trap – to learn a bit and look at Delft pottery. Interesting and beautiful, but of course, you were expected to buy something. We bought a tiny plate to remind us of our visit.

Then we went on a canal cruise through Amsterdam. Another laid back way of seeing some of the city. I was thankful for the time we had on our own a couple of weeks ago while on business, to see a bit more of Amsterdam, as there really wasn’t enough time to see much.

That evening it was our farewell dinner at the Sea Palace – enjoying a Rijsttafel - an extravagant meal originating from Indonesia
HollandHollandHolland

Some boats in the canal at Monnickendam
, but brought in to Netherlands in the colonial times. It consists of many small dishes of wide array, to impress visitors, so they could taste many different flavours and textures.



It was quite sad to realise this was last meal of our tour, say fond goodbyes to all our travel companions. We exchanged telephone numbers and addresses, vowing to meet up again or write letters after we were back at home. No quick emails in those days!



One last drive through Belgium , so swift and we didn't see much of it, then onto ferry to head back to Dover and London.



Almost the end of our trip, but still a bit of London to see before we head home! This time we would stay double the length of time that we were last there: two whole days!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

HollandHolland
Holland

More boats in the canal at Monnickendam
HollandHolland
Holland

Streets of Monnickendam
HollandHolland
Holland

Boats 'n anchors
HollandHolland
Holland

Inside the canal boat in Amsterdam
HollandHolland
Holland

Seven bridges supposed to be visible from this point....
HollandHolland
Holland

Enjoying the Rijstafel with some of our touring friends
DoverDover
Dover

White cliffs in sight again - only 10 days ago since we left
DoverDover
Dover

Entering the harbour at Dover


Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0461s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb