Happy Birthday to me!


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
June 1st 2006
Published: June 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

church buildingchurch buildingchurch building

Cuenca, Ecuador
Hello to everyone from not-so-sunny Europe! Apparently it's summer here now, but you wouldn't know it. I was looking forward to finally having a birthday with sunshine and warmth, but alas! it was not to be. It's about 12C today, colder than it normally is in Melbourne at this time of year!

I spent my big day walking the streets of Amsterdam, and making my way to the Hortus Botanicus, one of the oldest botanical gardens in the world. It has a lot of history, other than that linked to the tulip, and is hundreds of years old. It has a pretty good collection of euphorbias (not as big as mine, but some new species I don't have). The whole gardens were set up after the Black Plague to house a collection of medicinal plants. The herb garden is still there, though mostly containing culinary herbs.

The glass houses are amazing - on a scale unlike those in Australia's bot gardens. One had three separate climate areas, one full of Australian and South African plants, one was tropical and humid (to the point of fogging up my camera lens), and one was a dryland cactus and succulent collection.
Then there was the glasshouse with the butterfly and food plant collection (including coffee, tea and chocolate ... oh, and coca seedlings). It was interesting to see plants like jojoba, guarana, vanilla etc. that you don't normally associate as being a plant product (usually ingredients in a shampoo or something).

Lunch was an elegant affair (not) in the orangery at the Hortus - smoked salmon sandwiches, a pot of tea and a brownie (not that sort) - actually this is about the only place where you can buy a brownie that's NOT filled with hash, but that's another story.

I ran out of time to visit the zoo, but not to worry. I'll probably visit the one in London later on. Tomorrow morning I'm off to Aalsmeer, home of the largest flower market in the world! (it's only exciting to horticulture nerds). It all starts early, so I'm off to bed early tonight - no partying in Amsterdam for me.

Will attach heaps of photos, although probably not all at once. Some of the tail end of South America, some of my one day in Madrid, and lots of Amsterdam. Hope you like tulips (kidding).

Ciao!
excellent bus stop fruit stallsexcellent bus stop fruit stallsexcellent bus stop fruit stalls

between Cuenca and Quito, Ecuador
(must stop speaking spanish - it just confuses everybody).





Additional photos below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

mountain fogmountain fog
mountain fog

between Banos and Quito, Ecuador
Ecuadorian taxiEcuadorian taxi
Ecuadorian taxi

between Banos and Quito, Ecuador
Ecuadorian mountain townEcuadorian mountain town
Ecuadorian mountain town

between Banos and Quito, Ecuador
mountain scenerymountain scenery
mountain scenery

between Banos and Quito, Ecuador
mountain scenerymountain scenery
mountain scenery

between Banos and Quito, Ecuador
mountain scenerymountain scenery
mountain scenery

between Banos and Quito, Ecuador
hill terracinghill terracing
hill terracing

between Banos and Quito, Ecuador
Volcan Chimborazo (I think...)Volcan Chimborazo (I think...)
Volcan Chimborazo (I think...)

between Banos and Quito, Ecuador
the fake equatorthe fake equator
the fake equator

Quito, Ecuador
cactus flowercactus flower
cactus flower

Quito, Ecuador
lining uplining up
lining up

Quito, Ecuador


1st June 2006

eurotrash
I especially like the royal incan buttocks. he must work out.

Tot: 0.156s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 104; dbt: 0.1143s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb