The most discreet of travel blogs


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
April 3rd 2006
Published: April 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

To kick off spring break, Ret, Audree, and I took a long train ride up to Amsterdam. Geographicly this was the best way to start our trip as we could work our way south from there. That's the reason we started there and that's final! When leaving the train station in Amsterdam you immediately take notice of the extraordinary mounds of bicycles. Some of which even have people on them. Coming from Rome, trading our god-forsaken motor scooters for the light gurgle of these prescious little cyclists is more than welcome. They then doubled our relief by learning and subsequently speaking english flawlessly nation-wide. It's like they knew we were coming. Anyway, we checked into our hostile and wasted no time in hitting the town. Just walking around old Amsterdam trying to get lost is worth the trip, but we felt that, being responsible architecture students, we should try to culture ourselves at least a little bit. The first route to enlightenment was taken at the Van Gogh Museum. This was an amazing collection featuring, of course, the largest collection of Van Gogh in the world. Beyond this lesson, we refrained from furthering our knowledge in the classical arts in order to make way for our modern pursuits. The collection of modern architecture in Amsterdam is quite impressive and it leaves me a bit sad to say that we still missed a good portion of it. I should focus on what we did get to see though. I will spare you any in depth description of these modern works and simply allow you to enjoy the pretty pictures.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

the famous Dampkringthe famous Dampkring
the famous Dampkring

coffeeshop from Oceans Twelve
Museum of scienceMuseum of science
Museum of science

cool renzo piano project
DeboraDebora
Debora

couldn't decide which picture was cooler
BridgeBridge
Bridge

hmm...wonder if that was intentional...
cool buildingcool building
cool building

you may get this title a good bit


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.044s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb