Amsterdam 5/4/2010


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
May 4th 2010
Published: May 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

At Meeting PointAt Meeting PointAt Meeting Point

Schipol Airport has a spot called Meeting Point where people link up with whoever they are waiting for at the airport...neat!!
Today we had a wonderful breakfast at the IBIS Hotel. The coffee was amazing..and I could have stayed all day just to drink it. There were many types of breads, cheeses, cold cuts, as well as eggs, sausages, fruit, & great yogurt. Following breakfast we headed back to the airport to meet our entire tour group. On the was there we met some people with our group that came to Europe early and spent the night in the same hotel with us.

Once the group was all together we boarded a bus to take us to our hotel for 2 nights. It is a lovely hotel called De Leijhof (say that 3 times fast). It looks like a country manor and is quite nice. It is in a small town called Oisterwijk. We had about an hour to get in our rooms and rest before a buffet lunch....more delicious breads, cold cuts, a very good cream of mushroom (and this from one who doesn't love mushrooms) various salads and fresh vegetables. The Dutch eat lots of meals just like those we have had and they have wonderful "sweet breads" - kinda like a great cinnamon roll bread without the cinnamon.
Battle PlaqueBattle PlaqueBattle Plaque

see next pic of church
We were very satisfied.

We then boarded our bus and drove around the Dutch countryside. Our guide, Jan (yawn), is from this area and is very knowledgable. Wek traveled to arnhem, site of the movie "A Bridge To Far" as well as nearby Mijmegen to view the Waal Bridge which was captured by American paratropers during :Operatiion Market Garden". We read stories of survivors and just couldn't imagine what it must have been like to live in these areas during the war. It was a beautiful drive.

Bafck at the hotel we had a wonderful dinner and got to talk with our fellow companions. On thing I have learned is if yoju ever take a trip like this it is better to go a day early and pay the extra money so you don't have such jet lag on your first day out. Several people wer just exhausted - much like we were our first day in Italy.

We are now in our rooms relaxing and preparing for bed....tomorrow is another day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Church used in Battle of 1944Church used in Battle of 1944
Church used in Battle of 1944

built in th 10th Century
A Bridge To Far BridgeA Bridge To Far Bridge
A Bridge To Far Bridge

Watch the movie
Thatched RoofThatched Roof
Thatched Roof

They still use them here
WindmillWindmill
Windmill

You see many here...hope to see more


Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0598s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb