Amsterdam


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
July 12th 2009
Published: August 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Today it rained all day till about 5 o'clock pm. But Sam and I just put our ponchos on and went sightseeing anyway. We walked through Vondelpark, which was very close to our hostel. It is a pretty park. Then we just wandered through the little roads. Coffee-Shops everywhere! Even though it was raining, the city looked very pretty. Even the canals with the boats in them. There was a 'Down Under' Cinema, that was showing 'Rabbit Proof Fence'. Interestingly enough, there was the Kiwi flag and sheep ad kiwi stickers o.O. We spotted a flower marked that we had a look at. In the same street there were lots of souvenier and pot shops. There was a cheese-shop that sold huge cheese bits. We also looked at a church that had two towers. There was currently mass in it so we weren't allowed in. Then we walked to some house near a canal near university. It was a pretty house but I didn't quite get what was so special about it. We looked at another church after. There is a lot of bikes and bike-riders in Amsterdam - theyre everywhere. And trams. It's scary. After walking the wrong direction for a little bit, we saw a house that was leaning. I realised that a few houses in Amsterdam are. We then finally found our way to city hall. It was an ugly building but the one next to it (no idea what it was) was quite pretty. Then we walked towards the old church past the main square with another market and past red light district. The old church was scaringly close to the red light district! Back at Central Station we had lunch and then walked to the Dam where there is the Royal palace and the new church. Then we walked to a shopping center that looked fancy from outside. All shops are open on a Sunday here! Finally, we had a Cappuccino at Coffee Company. Then went back to the hostel to grab our stuff and a free beer and....
Now we just arrived from a massive walk with backpacks through masses of people at the train station. We are going to Strassbourg overnight!


Additional photos below
Photos: 54, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0401s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb