Where am I again??? Oh yeah Amsterdam


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
June 6th 2009
Published: June 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

So after the visiting the sleepy little hollow of Bruges we headed for the peaceful little Hamlet of Amsterdam!!! Damn what a change of pace!! We arrived at our Hostel the flying pig uptown to be greeted by renovations to the place. No Bar, No carpet in the Halls etc. It was a joke and just a real downer as usually the Hostel is a good meeting point for the nights festivities especially if you have been exploring the city by yourself for the day. But most people just stayed away from the place as it was so ordinary and had no bar or even anywhere to sit down, no internet nothing!!! They did bribe us with free beer though, however we had to go to the downtown bar to drink this.

We arrived pretty late in the day and a few of us, namely Tom and Kate, who i had also met in Bruges and a some others thought we would go see Ann Franks house. I was so glad we did cos we got there with no queue to worry about. I walked past the next day in the middle of the day and the line was winding around the corner!!! It was pretty unbeleiveable to think that a family lived in this place not being able to make a sound during the day, not being able to go outside and stuff!! There is no furniture in there which makes it appear a lot bigger then what it actually is, but still not a lot of room to do anything really.

The next day was bike tour out to the country, which was great. We hopped on our bikes and headed out through the city. Now i have ridden bikes on the road and stuff with traffic but nothing compares to riding in Amsterdam, and i dont mean the cars I mean the other bikes!! The cars basically give way to bikes which is great but the bike riders in Amsterdam are just damn crazy!! All the bikes were named with the name on the front gaurd, mine was Chris Judd, I so wanted to rename it Richo but i wasnt allowed, Another chick was riding Jake the Muss which i thought was pretty funny. we made it out to the country, well just out of town anyway, to a little cheese making farm, we got to have a beer, heineken of course, and eat fresh cheese. We also saw how they made clogs but the chees was the best thing, it was amazing!!! The best cheese i have ever eaten i reckon!! That night we did the Pub crawl which is basically the tourist event that must be done in every major city!!! Lots of dancing at some crazy clubs it was huge!!!

Went to the Heineken brewery the next day to do the tour and get some beers!! It was good, certainly no Guiness Storehouse but it was enjoyable. It did feel more like a big interactive advertisement rather then a history lesson though that maybe due to the fact that once you know what is in it and how its done they basically all do the same thing!!! Hence no more brewery tours for me!!

Of course did the red light district stuff but prob dont need to say too much about it. If you´ve never been there it is exactly how everyone who has explains it. Though i will say that some of the girls are absolutely cracking!! Something i probably didnt expect but i swear some are model materail!! I am definently going back!! HaHa!! Of course Adam, Nicole, G and Hayley all rocked up a few days after me and we did another Pub crawl, but we did the Red light District tour which was just as big as the first but was at bars rather then clubs. This is where the famous quote of "dont get all Bruges on my" was first uttered, i think it was someone not being able to get through a shot!! I cant remeber who but of course after being hearing that they certainly did do it!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb