Amsterdam Day 1 (AM): Competing for the Ugliest City in Europe


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
May 2nd 2009
Published: May 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Amsterdam's Shopping DistrictAmsterdam's Shopping DistrictAmsterdam's Shopping District

Not much shopping going on at 6AM, not much of anything going on actually, except for in the Red Light District . . .
We arrived an hour ahead of schedule, 5AM local time due to a very strong tailwind on our A330-300. We didn't get our upgrade to World Business Class but the seats I had gotten for us were as good as you could get and had about 7 feet of legroom since we were next to the main cabin door. Everytime we went to the bathroom and saw the rest of the cabin, or reclined our seats, we remembered how miserable those other people had it and we thankfully did not. One thing that could be improved was the food, it was absolutely lousy and barely edible. It has gotten so bad they should really offer to sell you better food.

Possibly the Worst City in Europe


Not having seen all of them, we have to be careful making that claim but Amsterdam is definitely an unappealing city. Maybe it was because we saw it on a Sunday morning after what appeared to have been quite a rowdy Saturday night. Maybe it's because at the ungodly hour we were out and about there were no people in the streets save for over-testosteroned young men returning from a night out in the
Cool Cat StoreCool Cat StoreCool Cat Store

Oh really?
bars and Red Light District. In any event, we got to do a little walking tour that showed us all of what the town is known for - the canals, the Red Light District, the pot smoking, the quaint streets. Maybe someone can explain to us what we missed here but I don't believe we will ever be returning for a stay in Amsterdam.

Getting to Amsterdam from Schiphol Airport is so easy it would be silly not to do it if you are ever on a layover of more than 3 hours there. The train station is literally right inside the airport and there is a train that takes you to Amsterdam Centraal via two stops within 20 minutes time. The tickets cost about 7 Euros roundtrip. We were never controlled, nor did I see any spot where we were supposed to validate the stubs, it seems the Dutch are just pretty easygoing about everything which is awesome but yields some unsavory side effects.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Royal Palace on The DamRoyal Palace on The Dam
Royal Palace on The Dam

The Dam is the historic square in Amsterdam. Not a Dam thing going on at this hour of the morning.
Lions on Dam SquareLions on Dam Square
Lions on Dam Square

In front of the National Monument.
Red Light DistrictRed Light District
Red Light District

I least we thought it was, there were red lights and they had some porno store nearby and a bunch of drunk guys acting stupid.
Train to the AirportTrain to the Airport
Train to the Airport

Very easy connection to Schithol Airport, sorry Schiphol. I had to jump on those very tracks as my lens shield fell off and rolled right onto them.


Tot: 0.338s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 33; qc: 140; dbt: 0.0796s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb