Hallo from Holland!


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
May 23rd 2008
Published: May 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hellooo from London, but just arrived back here now.

Finally, in an english speaking country with a mostly-normal keyboard. Hooray.

Since the last entry back in Germany we've travelled to Netherlands - the most craziest country on earth.

We had a dutch bike ride on a real dutch bike - they look like granny bikes and they have no brakes which makes it an interesting ride around a city full of rivers, canals, people and posts at roughly groin height.

We visited a clog making joint where we saw a bloke knock together a pair of clogs in under 5 mins, then we went to Eden, which is the cheese capital of europe. Yeah yeah, a peaceful country with lovely gardens, flowers, windmills, rivers, people and atmosphere, but we hadn't reached Amsterdam just yet.

We settled into our accommodation, a hostel that was situated on the outskirts of Amsterdam called Hotel Slotania. We were lucky, our room was actually empty - some other group members had a rude awakening to Amsterdam when they opened theirs. After getting sorted and psyching ourselves up, we headed into town to check it all out. Prior to our drop off, our tour manager conducted a formal team brief on the bus and explained the differences between cafe, coffee shop and coffee house - and I'm glad he did. The red light district is hands down the most surreal thing I have ever experienced. We couldn't take photos because apparantly pimps will run after you and throw your camera in the canal. That said, Japanese Steve was at it again and I did manage to grab a couple and can't wait to show you. The Netherland Police Mob released a document that was intended to give tourists a brief rundown on the district and I will also write it up when i'm back, its an absolute crack up. Overall Amsterdam was great and I'll chuck some more details up when im back.

After a big 2 nights in Amsterdam, we headed back through Belgium, back into France (YAY) and into Calais for our ferry ride across the canal heading straight for the white cliffs of dover.

We arrived back in London last night and headed out for 'the last supper' and drinks with the group and 25 million other raging londoners before everyone went their separate ways this morning.

We are off to Dubai tomorrow - can't wait.

Off now to pack the bags and check the weight (im sure it's over 30kg) and hopefully make it home without getting too wet, it's finally clearing up in London this morning so should be good.

Catchya soon!



Advertisement



26th May 2008

language
"The most craziest country" is a good example of English

Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0657s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb