Amsterdam, "Paradise on earth MAN!"


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
March 28th 2008
Published: April 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

We were on the tram, on our way to our hostel, only two minutes after stepping foot in the Netherlands most popular destination. The bicycles, the buildings, the cobblestone and canals...aaah, this is Amsterdam. We walked the main street and crossed over one of the many beautifully built bridges towards the "StayOK Youth Hostel". After making ourselves comfortable in our 20 bed dorm rooms, we headed out into the street to gfind the essence of life in Amsterdam.
We spent 4 days in the land where drugs, sex and liquor run the streets and everyone you meet seems to be ON something. We rode bicycles thorugh the many canals running alongside and throughout the city. With everything so close, we were able to see so much of this dutch landmark. We felt we'd been living there for years. From fantastic food to the smokey coffee shpos, we experienced everything Amsterdam has to offer...well not everything. The red light district is a scene our innocent eyes won't ever forget. From men offering any illicit substance you can imagine to the many doors lit up in red. Oh the red lights. We were only spectators in this part of the city. We felt much more at home in the comfortable coffee shops. Sorry Mum, Dad, we had to. The places we visited and the friends we met them in were the greatest experiences. Who would have known you could go to a Cannabis College? Not us. From White Widow and Blueberry, to Bubblegum and Lemon Haze marijuana, you name it, they've got it on the menu. And a tip to all future visitors to Amsterdam; don't got to the torture museum. It truly is the most horrifying tour you'll ever take. We took a tram ride to the Heineken Brewery with the highest hopes; but we're sorrily disappointed when we discovered it was closed for renovation. Oh well, maybe next trip.
Aside from the hot spots of Amsterdam, outside the city is fiilled with cosey little cafes that serve great food at reasonable prices. Only a twenty minute bike ride out of the city and you're surrounded by fields of tulips and the local dutch who are always willing to lend a hand. Amsterdam is unlike anywhere we've ever been. The values in which they've chosen to instill in daily life are completely different from ours at home. The dutch beleive leniancy on
weed?weed?weed?

starter kits
drugs and alcohol lead to a more open society, and hpoeuflly less crime. Whose to say whether they're right or wrong? I know an eighty year old American Hippy {proud owner of "Magic Mushroom Galaxy}, that wil tell you this city is "Paradise on Earth, MAN!" Of course, many would call him a stoned-out-of-his-mind fool; which he probably is. But he's happy living his life in a place that has accepted him.
The great part about amsterdam are the people. Everyone seems to have a great story to tell, and in such a relaxed place, its easy to listen. We met many a traveler in the confines of this small but busy city. And it seemed everyone had come to visit for a different reason, but enjoyed their stay for the same one; it's a place where being different is welcome and most everyone can live the way they'd like to.
We left Amsterdam with many experiences but little money. It isn't a place that you can stretch your money in. The prices are set and you must obey. A bit different from our experiences in thailand and india. Though at the same time, we loved every second we spent here, and we look forward to the rest of our time in europe. In the end, we're just glad to know that Amsterdam; was something special.

Love from the Dutch Capital
Evan and Chris


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

the bulldogthe bulldog
the bulldog

the "first" of many coffeeshops
Coffee Shop HazeCoffee Shop Haze
Coffee Shop Haze

What can you do?
outside hotel europaoutside hotel europa
outside hotel europa

on our way to our hostel
matt and rolandmatt and roland
matt and roland

two wicked brits we met and chilled with
chris in Rusland coffeeshopchris in Rusland coffeeshop
chris in Rusland coffeeshop

giant cabinet of bongs and pipes pictured left
a narrow alley near the redlight districta narrow alley near the redlight district
a narrow alley near the redlight district

matt was dying to walk through here.
evan showing emotions of complete fear and disgustevan showing emotions of complete fear and disgust
evan showing emotions of complete fear and disgust

there are many things we saw in the torture museum that we should not display on the net. you are welcome
messed up tortures in the museummessed up tortures in the museum
messed up tortures in the museum

the victim was sat naked on this pyramid... then weights were tied to their wrists and ankles to pull them down...


Tot: 0.307s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.1026s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb