Amsterdam Away


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
December 8th 2007
Published: December 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We took the short 45 minute flight to Amsterdam this weekend...it really is a beautiful place. The city is a string of concentric half-circles with canals separating each part...so you are always crossing a bridge...the architecture is really unique; all of the buildings are tall and narrow and have some of the steepest stairs around. We spent most of the weekend shopping and eating...two things we usually do a lot of.

We were in a good location, just off of the main square (Dam Square), where there are lots of shopping streets and pubs, and tons of people...I know these countries are smaller than most US states, but they always seem so incredibly crowded...just trying to walk down a busy shopping street on Saturday morning is not easy.

Friday night after we arrived we decided to go for Indonesian food, on a tip from the in-flight magazine...while the food was great, very authentic, we were surprised to find a little visitor running around...thankfully it was not a rat, but a mouse...and it was darting across the floor of the place...I tried to ignore it (we'd already eaten most of our food), but when it came under our table I
An Old "Brown Bar"An Old "Brown Bar"An Old "Brown Bar"

...as they call them...this one had sawdust on the floor...I think it was original...
had to tell Evan...it was a little freaky, but we are still alive.

We spent most of Saturday shopping, and getting in the Christmas spirit...they had decorations everywhere and were putting up the big tree in the center of town. It rained at night, which living in London we are now used to...but we still had a great time. Here are some pics of the trip...In case you are wondering what Evan is eating...that is a raw Herring sandwich...a local delight...not really in my taste (it also has pickles and onions!!...smelled great!!!)





Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Tulip Shot...Tulip Shot...
Tulip Shot...

...can't leave here without one...


Tot: 0.169s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0619s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb