Bathing with Romans, in Bath


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England
December 15th 2007
Published: December 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

My parents came to visit last week and amongst a million other sites they saw, we all took a 90 minute trainride to Bath, England for the weekend. This quaint city, most widely known for Jane Austen novels and the Roman Baths, was such a charming place to visit. The scenery, the buildings, the history, the Christmas backdrop, everything was so picturesque. This post-card-perfect place got even better, when we arrived at our Inn, the Priory Cottage. It could not have been more adorable, and the innkeepers, Martin and Jackie were great...they made us the most amazing "full English" breakfast...baked beans for breakfast seems out of sorts, but trust us, it was sooooo good.

We spent most of our time wandering around, alongside the river Avon (which was a must-see since it is the namesake of my town), touring the Roman Baths (who knew they made it so far, so long ago...these baths are still full of water, and despite being 6 meters below the level of the modern day city, were almost fully intact), and eating...we had tea and "buns" in the oldest building in Bath, award winning fish and chips (and mushy peas of course), the best toffee pudding, not to mention the fresh fudge, and the full English at the Inn. Sadly we passed on the Spotted Dick dessert, but we all had a good laugh wondering what the hell it was. We saw Nicholas Cage's country castle, and his city townhouse (not sure why you need two houses in Bath), and his neighbor Johnny Depp's place too.

When we came back to London we decided to give my parents and authentic Football experience...the Pats vs the Jets at the SportsCafe in Piccadilly!! We all felt right at home with all of the Brady shirts! My parents quite possibly crammed the most tourist attractions into a five day period and they were busy, but they had a great time, and we had a great time showing them around our area.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

More of the Roman BathsMore of the Roman Baths
More of the Roman Baths

These were created in about 49 AD...
Sally Lunn's BunsSally Lunn's Buns
Sally Lunn's Buns

These things were pretty crazy...and huge...but apparently famous...so we ate them!
The Bun...with topping...The Bun...with topping...
The Bun...with topping...

cinnamon...yummy...
The Avon Bar...The Avon Bar...
The Avon Bar...

...had to take a picture of this...
The Priory CottageThe Priory Cottage
The Priory Cottage

This was the best Inn I\'ve ever stayed in, and they had TVs in the rooms, a bit of a shocker for an Inn.
The FULL EnglishThe FULL English
The FULL English

It was soooooooo good...


Tot: 0.18s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0487s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb