Canals Canals and more Canals


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
July 21st 2003
Published: July 21st 2003
Edit Blog Post

So I got the last train for the night train from Copenhagen to Duisburg Germany. (i have not been able to locate it on a map, my best guess is that it is near Dusseldorf and not too far from Colonge). The seat happened to be in a 6 person smoking cabin... that did not have beds. The 3 Russian-Swedes to my left and across were quite drunk... well 2 were, and the 3rd was ok, not nearly as sketchy as his friends. To my right were a pair of 18 year old Danish boys en route to Amsterdam. One was a chain smoker, but a nice guy, the other was silent ansd stayed up reading all night. Two of the russians passed out immediately and the one sitting next to the not sketchy one fell asleep on his friends shoulder and started to drool. This was not ok with the guy gettting drooled on, and the next thing we know the 3 of them have moved to a sleeper car. The 3 of us were relived. We tried to sprawl out, but the light was on since one was reading and the german conductor woke us up at one point to add a 4 the person to the cabin. This was the same conductor who thought it appropriate to laugh at my last name durring the passport check... it is funny, but as funny as he thought it was.

At 6:45am we got to Duisburg, and at 9:15 we got the train to Amsterdam. I had not been able to reserve a seat (that would have cost E35) and thus ended up sitting on the floor in the shadow of a large german man who laughed at the end of every sentence and got kicks out of nudging my backpack to wake me up... but i finally got here, got a shower and spent the day wandering canals and at the Amsterdam History Musuem. What a charming town!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.293s; Tpl: 0.122s; cc: 11; qc: 46; dbt: 0.1248s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb