The Netherlands


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
May 25th 2007
Published: May 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Amsterdam is a fantastic city but it is definately not what i expected. the architecture is amazing, i love the red and whit brick contrasted by evil church spires and clock towers. it is very quintessential Europe as Christian would say. the people here are fantastic. not only do they speak english very well but they are friendly!!! as i said before amsterdam is definately not what people back home imagine it to be. i have heard so many stories about it's intensity and i just didn't feel it. the Red Light District was very different but apart from the girls in windows and random sex shops and shows it really wasnt as crazy as i had expected. novelty is the best word to describe it.



Tuesday 22nd
We got to Amsterdam rather late only to find we had been transferred to another hotel (thats right hotel) on the otherside of town. we had booked this hotel for 187 euros for three nights between three people (so around 20 bucks each) we got upgraded apparetly to (brce yourself) the premier (according to lonely planet) gay and lesbian hotel in amsterdam. great.... checking in they wanted 370 euros so i informed them where they can place that figure and that i was paying 187. it worked and we got the room. it was awesome: own shower, huge room, blacony, canal views, TV. after checking in we just had some food and chilled in the room (which had pitch black curtains!!!!!!!!)


Wednesday 23rd
We checked out the Anne Frank house this morning. it was really interesting to see how she lived during the war. for a 12 year old her writing was fantastic. her book would be really interesting to read i think. the strangest thing happened. walking through the house we met one of the girls from our Haggis tour. very random. caught up with her for lunch etc and she gave us a tour of the red light district because she had been there before.


Thursday 24th

got up this morning and headed for Leiden. what a disappointment. the hot weather had ruined all the tulips so there was nothing but green fields. we stayed for a bit but then headed back to Amsterdam. here we hired a paddle boat and nearly got run over several times by the tour ferry's. all in all a pleasant afternoon. we headed back to explore the redlight district a little further as we were very disappointed with it first time round. Pip and I checked out a 2£ 2 minute live sex show (brad got kicked out, apparently your not allowed three in a booth). all i can say is ive never seen anythign mor eugly in my life. ill leave it at that.

Friday 25th

travel day back to london.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.307s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0606s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb