Because I'm a history nerd...


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » Limburg » Maastricht
January 24th 2010
Published: January 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

HelpoortHelpoortHelpoort

"Hell's Gate" - the oldest surviving town gate in the Netherlands.
It was another rainy day today in Maastricht. Maastricht experiences very similar weather as the rest of the Netherlands: damp and wet. It's a considerably moderate climate, and it rains more frequently in the winter than during the rest of the year. Interestingly enough, Maastricht is considered to be the "sunniest" city in Holland! The temperature range for the winter is from 33-49 degrees Fahrenheit; for the spring is from 39-66 degrees; for the summer is 60-73 degrees; & for the fall is from 37-66 degrees.

Since I love history so much, & I think that Europe is so fascinating simply because of the antiquity that can be found here, I decided to use today's blog as a mini-history lesson on the city of Maastricht. 😊

It has been argued that Maastricht is the oldest town in Holland. The Romans set up shop here in 50 BC mainly because the Maas River proved to be a very advantageous stronghold. There has been an unbroken chain of habitation ever since; Maastricht currently has a population of about 120,000 people. However, because the city was built along the Maas River & stands as an important strategic crossroads in the Low Countries, it had to endure many sieges by foreign forces who were trying to overtake the city. That being said, defensive walls were constructed in 1229, including the Helpoort ("Hell's Gate") which is the oldest surviving town gate in the Netherlands. Over time, Maastricht was besieged 22 times, including by the Spanish in 1579 & the French in 1673. During the Franco-Dutch War, the French forces under King Louis XIV breached the city fortifications in June 1673 & occupied the city until 1678.

Maastricht officially joined the Kingdom of the Netherlands in 1814.

Maastricht also has its place in recent history, as well. During World War II, Maastricht was occupied by the Germans on May 10, 1940; however, it was the first Dutch city to be liberated by the Allied forces on September 14, 1944.

Not all of Maastricht's history revolves around war. For example, in 1992, the Treaty of Maastricht was signed which led to the creation of the European Union & the euro currency.

There are different events & festivities throughout the year, & Maastricht is truly a main tourist spot, particularly due to its close proximity to both Belgium and Germany. It also has
Buildings atop the Onze Lieve Vrouw Wal.Buildings atop the Onze Lieve Vrouw Wal.Buildings atop the Onze Lieve Vrouw Wal.

The buildings are on top of of the city's ancient wall.
a very high international student population thanks to the University of Maastricht (which opened in 1976).

All in all, Maastricht is a beautifully old city with wonderful things to see. As I learn more, I'll be sure to keep blogging about it. 😊




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0374s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb