van Gogh's second home - Netherlands - September 2016


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » Gelderland » Apeldoorn
March 12th 2017
Published: October 3rd 2023
Edit Blog Post

This definitely is the starting point of one of our crazier stories (see blogs to follow to find out). We flew into Brussels and immediately got into our rental car and started driving. Initial destination: KROLLER MULLER MUSEUM at APELDOORN- it was a stop to the ultimate destination.

We parked at the Kroller Muller park and were not exactly sure what to do next as it said that the museum was still quite a ways away, but we could not drive any further. It was figured out relatively quickly. Coetzees - you are now in the Netherlands and here everyone gets around on bikes, so naturally by bike is how you would get there. There were many, many bikes and you pretty much just take the one you like and start pedaling. Now with a 10 month old this is a little different, but leave it to the Dutch because they obviously have kids as well so bikes with little baby seats they had. Everest was loaded and off we went. We could not tell you the last time we rode bikes, so this surely was going to be fun.

The museum is located in the DE HOGE VELUWE NATURE RESERVE - hence the required bike ride.
De Hoge Veluwe Nature ReserveDe Hoge Veluwe Nature ReserveDe Hoge Veluwe Nature Reserve

"I can do this by myself!"
We made it without any issues as the little path winded and winded until we got there (not very far). They gave us a stroller for the little man and off we went. We started off "slow" with WORKS BY SEURAT and MONDRIAN. Next up some WORKS BY PICASSO. So, we gave the little man a taste of what this is like (a first time museum where he started having a voice). He definitely was very opinionated on a lot of the paintings. It was actually quite comical. We were quietly just walking from room to room (so was everyone else) and then you have this 10-month old just babbling away. I am not sure if this was necessarily cute for everyone else, but we found it adorable. The highlights here are the WORKS BY VAN GOGH. His STILL LIFE WITH FOUR SUNFLOWERS and THE BRIDGE AT ARLES were pretty breathtaking. This museum does contain the second largest number of works by van Gogh. I guess the original collector were advised to buy van Gogh works before he was famous and hence the large collection - thank you H.P Bremmer advisor!

The SCULPTURE GARDEN was next. Wide open spaces
De Hoge Veluwe Nature ReserveDe Hoge Veluwe Nature ReserveDe Hoge Veluwe Nature Reserve

Travelling with a baby
around the museum with sculptures in sometimes somewhat odd spaces. SCULPTURES BY HENRY MOORE, SCULPTURES BY RICHARD SERRA, and SCULPTURES BY RODIN were hunted down and found. Lunch at the Monsieur Jacques café at the museum was our last hurrah before heading back. Coffee, cappuccino, soup of the day (onion soup), charcuterie plate (bread/ cold meats/ cheeses/ salad), and a slice of berry pie that was not very good. As you head back you kind of pick the bike you came on, but it might not always be where you left it. I think ours was there. The little guy was way beyond his nap time, so he actually passed out on the bike between my arms. I tried my best to keep him comfortable. We made it back and were ready to hit the road. A short visit and a real treat with all the van Gogh's.

Good - it is hard to argue with the paintings at this museum. They are special.

- where else do you get to ride a bike to a museum?

Bad - absolutely nothing I can think off

Advice - don't let the bike ride put you off. It
Kroller Muller MuseumKroller Muller MuseumKroller Muller Museum

Four Withered Sunflowers by van Gogh
is kind of fun.

This might be the shortest time spent at a destination we have written about. Only one thing to check off in our books - Kroller-Muller Museum. So, 348 down and 5,433 to go.

Til' next time from a van Gogh surprise


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Kroller Muller MuseumKroller Muller Museum
Kroller Muller Museum

Café Terrace at Night by van Gogh
Kroller Muller MuseumKroller Muller Museum
Kroller Muller Museum

De aardappeleters by van Gogh
Kroller Muller MuseumKroller Muller Museum
Kroller Muller Museum

Road with Cypress and Star by van Gogh
De Hoge Veluwe Nature ReserveDe Hoge Veluwe Nature Reserve
De Hoge Veluwe Nature Reserve

it was nap sometime for a certain someone


4th October 2023

Great Blog. Have a look at my travel guide. https://blissfuldayz.com/2023/10/04/6-valuable-lessons-i-wish-i-knew-before-moving-from-new-york-to-london/

Tot: 0.333s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 31; qc: 112; dbt: 0.1049s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb