Escape to the Balkans – Part 4 (Montenegro)


Advertisement
Europe » Montenegro » Podgorica
August 8th 2013
Published: August 8th 2013
Edit Blog Post

After many border crossings we finally made it to Plav, Montenegro. It was such a struggle to find our hotel as it was tucked down back streets that slanted dangerously and had more pot holes than actual road. It turns out it was signposted but only in the local language, which is Montegrin, nevertheless we eventually found it after getting lost several times. I have never seen the point in spending a lot of time or money on hotels, but I could have spent forever and my riches at Hotel Kula Damjanova. It was more of a lodge than a hotel. It was on two floors with a spiral type staircase, and was made entirely from wood. It was perched on the lakes edge, and was decorated by oriental rugs hanging on the walls. It was the most amazing place to wake up in in the morning.

We took a walk along the lakes edge in the morning which was as clear and smooth as glass. Screw the Eiffel tower; this was the height of romance and beauty. We finally tore ourselves away and set off on what turned out to be a wild goose chase. We set the GPS to Macedonia via Albania and it first tried to take us through Kosovo along another one of these stunning, windy mountain roads. It took us to what it thought was the border of Kosovo, but unfortunately turned out to be a giant trench which we weren’t quite game enough to try and get our wee Hyuandi across. We backtracked towards our final destination – Skopje.

We conquered 6 countries in 4 days. Spending very little money, seeing some incredible scenery and discovering the dos and don’ts of the Balkans. All without a single argument. I’m already planning our next trip.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.172s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 13; qc: 53; dbt: 0.122s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb