Magical little Gem of the Med


Advertisement
Malta's flag
Europe » Malta » Malta
September 22nd 2007
Published: January 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Blue GrottoBlue GrottoBlue Grotto

Day trip on the Med exploring the cave along the cliff side this was one of the boats we used....how blue is the water!!!!
Well my friends it's officially been a year now that i've been on the road again!! It's only fitting that i find myself back to where i was just a year ago...in London....but before coming back here i spent three wonderful weeks in the gem of the Mediterranean sea, the island of Malta!!!!

Thanks to Simon's invitation to visit his island i found myself taken in by his familly and experience the true Maltese life!!

Most people would think that three weeks in one place is a long time but when you're visiting a country comprised of three tiny islands packed with history, splattered with sandy clear blue beaches and populated with some of the most welcoming and friendly people i've have the pleasure to meet in Europe three weeks was not long enough!

I don't really know how to put into words the experience i had, the first two weeks were filled with day trips around the island to various world heritage sites that survived centuries and world war, breathtaking views from the old capital city of Mdina and visiting the new and vibrant capital of Valetta. Thanks to Simon's parents we rented a car to explore
home sweet homehome sweet homehome sweet home

Simon, Lorraine and Vic sitting out front keeping guard in front of the house that they took me into with open arms......hmmmmmcuff!!!! Thanks:)
all the corners of the Island and so we did!!! It's funny to think when we would tell Simon's extended family that we'd head to the other end of the island they were amazed that we would make a day trip out of such a journey......it was only a 45min drive!!!! coming from countries such as Canada and Australia it's hard to look at 45min in a car as a long journey!!

Reallizing that we should also take advantage of the heat wave, beeing in the middle of the Med sea and knowing that the beaches are a plenty we invested in some water beds and let the sea take us!!! Really we were living the life!

The best part of Malta just kept coming, I had the chance to enjoy family bbq, going out with the cousins to local bars and wine bars where we showed them how backpacking can help you build strength and indurance!!! hehehe

As week three came around we were getting ready for Maliha's, the village we were staying in, the festa week!! It was a huge celebration of the Saint La Vittoria, let me tell you they know how to celebrate!
FishingFishingFishing

The familly took us out for a day of traditional Maltese fishing in a traditional boat and everything.....we later battered and fried the fish that we caught....it was quite the experience!!
We were but a staircase away from the town square and church, hence we were woken up by the church bells every morning followed by a few test bomb fireworks!!! The Maltese take pride in their firework display and with reason....they're all home made!!! People work all year round making these fireworks for the week of the festa! Very creative they are and of course no night is complete without the local band club playing in the square enjoyed with a few local spirits!!!! The biggest night is on the friday when the procession of the statue comes out and everyone celebrates with drinks on the street, cotton candy and a burger from the street vender while we watch an amazing display of fireworks and i mean hearts, smily faces and powerful explosions of colors with thunderous sounds to make your heart jump, even when you know it's coming!!! Hit the pillow at 5 am and back in the square for 10 am where beer is shouted freely and when you just can't carry anymore you just spray it on your mate!!!

We got a birds eye view of the island from the church bell tower, thanks to the
Cheers!!Cheers!!Cheers!!

A night out with all the cousins to the local Wine bar....what a great night indeed....they had no idea who they were messing with:)
local connections.....before enjoying the last of the fireworks display for the festa.....the fireworks are finished and the men have a week off before they start working on next years lot!!! i'm telling you this is an art!!!

A few days of recouperation, and reminesing my time spend in Malta before i have to say goodbye to a new family that took me in with open arms. I have to thank them all for without having met them my experience would never have been so special.....and of course to Simon and his parents for putting up with me and letting me stay for the 3 weeks!!! Never will i be able to repay such hospitality!!

Hope to see you again soon
big hug to everyone!!
Bridge



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

GozoGozo
Gozo

A trip to the neighboring island....Thank you Malta it was beautiful and an experience never to be forgotten!


Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb