Luxembourg Old Town


Advertisement
Luxembourg's flag
Europe » Luxembourg » Luxembourg City
April 12th 2011
Published: August 10th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Many people who visited the Old Town claimed that they had traveled back in time to witness a thousand year history in about two hours by walking through the Luxembourg’s oldest quarters. It must be true because in 1994, UNESCO designated the city a World Heritage Site. The remains of centuries of fortifications by the best military engineers of the Burgundians, the French, the Spaniards, the Austrians, and the Germanic Confederation give Luxembourg an enigmatic allure. Its high position surrounded by deep gorges and rivers at the bottom enabled its military advantages and importance in its past.

During its high time in the history, there were three girdles of battlements. The inner most one was fortified by bastions. The outer most one was composed of an exterior wall hewn into the rock and the wall was reinforced by nine forts. The middle girdle had fifteen forts at most strategic places. It was one of the mightiest emplacements in the world and it was nicknamed “Gibraltar of the North.”

Today, one can take a leisurely walk around the remaining walls on the east side of town and forts. Or, one can take a relaxing drive and stop at many mesmerizing vista points encircling the Old Town. Some vista points have panoramic views of deep ambrosial Alzette and Pétrusse valleys and beautiful very tall arch bridges that connect the Old Town with the high points across the valleys. The Old Town skyline and the pastel-painted buildings draping the hill sides complete the view and make a postcard-perfect picture.

Luxembourgish cuisine reflects Luxembourg's position on the map. It is a fusion between the neighboring French and German cuisines, and, more recently it is complemented by Italian and Portuguese influences as well. What highlighted our dining experience in Luxembourg was the exceptional attention to detail in presentation and quality of the food. Every ingredient was mixed and cooked just right to create a culinary delight...@driving-vacation

More pictures...


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0374s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb