Vilnius, Lithuania 56° North & 24° East


Advertisement
Lithuania's flag
Europe » Lithuania » Vilnius » Trakai
March 31st 2009
Published: March 31st 2009
Edit Blog Post

hey guys, currently killling time in the hostel awaiting my overnight bus to Warsaw, Poland. But the last 36 hours have been spent in lil old Vilnius.

First arrived and with my dutch mate we explored the city, which (by my reconning) has 1 church for every 5 people. The most numerous by far considering the population is only a mere 400,000. So slightly bigger than Adelaide, but with less churchs. But these are the most animated by far - anyway enough on churches.

The rest of the old town is larger than talinn and Riga that I have been to recently and it also seem to have a good combination of modern and old. Lots of bars, lots of cafes also. Made the mistake of ordering a hot chocolate and got a melt bar of chocolate in an lil espresso cup - opps.

The night we decide to have traditional lithuanian meal. The soup was hearty with meat and rice and veges and the wild boar stew was to die for ... which the boar thankfully did. Had few more beers at the pub and then headed home.

Got up early today and head to the quiant town of trakai - was major town in the medival period and has a large castle and good museum. The castle would make a good place for a beer festival I recon. Had another local lunch which was cheap and really nice.

Back to Vil to see the KGB museum where they use to torture everyone and it was closed.! The lonely planet lied and (dont tell kym) was bashed against the nearest fence for being wrong! If the pages weren't so glossy it may have been deemed to be used as toilet paper.

So after alot of Kay's, now just chilling out and awaiting what probably will be the bus ride from hell... well least it isn't going thru belarus.




Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0455s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb