Riga - Naughty Squirrel's


Advertisement
Latvia's flag
Europe » Latvia » Riga Region » Riga
March 28th 2009
Published: March 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Lativa is another place, like Estonia that has recently been freed from the soviet's (ie 1991) thanks to Boris.
But almost 20 years on you can still seem the impact it had on their lives from living in egg boxes, to speak your mind got you 5 to 10 years in the hardest salt mines that can find. The museum of occupation detailing the atrocities and mass deporations that took place from 1940 when Soviets first took over from the switch to nazi Germany and persecution of the Jews and the swap back again in 1944 to the Soviets who held it to the present day.

I can't help thinking that the Allies should have listened to Patton (american general from world war 2) and told Russia to get back over it own border line.

Sorry that was a bit heavy. Riga is 4 hrs by bus from Talinn and was a lovely uneventful ride. It sports some great architecture in the picturesque old town. Everyone speaks english - its actually quite astonishing considering there is only 2 million people in the country and they were run by the russians for a heck of along time.

The hostel the naughty squirrel, where i stayed was bought in feb by a couple of aussies who got drunk one night and thought what the hell - why not. I totally recommend it, Jarrod and what ever the others guy name will talk you ears off for hours and the air hockey is taken seriously, my arm still hurts.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0504s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb