Days 3&4 (Tue, Wed)


Advertisement
Lithuania's flag
Europe » Lithuania » Panevėžys
May 12th 2011
Published: May 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Sorry for the lack of updates but internet access has been a challenge to say the least.

Just waking up in Taurage on Thursday morning. After a quick visit to the Hill of Crosses Tuesday was an interesting day with our first major incident being a puncture for John about an hour after we had set off. The countryside continues to roll by and the morning was good going. In the afternoon we started to climb steadily into the 'highlands' not really hills but a series of very steady climbs. By the time we had reached our destination (Plateliai) we knew we had been cycling uphill for a while! We were met by a local lady who took us on a guided tour of a nearby ex nuclear missile facility built by the Russians in 1960/62. It was in the middle of being converted to a museum of the cold war, opening next year. We had special permission to go around with our hard hats on. After that it was back to the lakeside hotel www.linelis.lt which was very nice, excellent views of the lake and a chance to relax a bit in the pool, jacuzzi and sauna.

Wednesday we got off to a good start and after climbing a little higher it was all down hill. we stopped for a hearty lunch and then we were flying maintaining speeds of 20 mph for long periods. Once in Taurage we met up with a chaplin from the local army base (as you do) who guided us to the base so we could meet the next Rugute family. When we were nearly there Al came a cropper on a 'gravelly bend' and hit the dirt. He wasn't too badly hurt though and we arrived at the base ok. We were then treated to an amazing tour of the base which included a ride on/in an Armoured Personnel Carrier. This was followed by a meal in the officers mess and some excellent hospitality. We arrived at the Banga hotel in the early evening and had an early night.

The weather continues to be excellent with sunburn the main cause for concern! Were off to Kaunas today before the last push to Vilnius on Friday! Missing everyone at home but having a good time and loving Lithuania. In a word - awesome experience.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.236s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0388s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb