Crossing Kosovo and visit Prizren


Advertisement
Europe » Kosovo » South » Prizren
August 13th 2016
Published: July 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Kosovo


After a good night rest we woke up and took a nice Greek breakfast. Or next destination for today is Prizren. A picturesque city in the south of Kosovo. According Google Maps it would take us only 3 hour from Thessaloniki. Reality showed the difference… We left Thessaloniki behind us and drove towards the north. Passing Macedonia (Former Yugoslavian Republic Of Macedonia) and entered the border with Kosovo. However there was not a long queue it took some time until it was our turn. Passport check was fine. Green card…. Kosovo is not covered by our car insurance. At the border we could insure our vehicle for 15 Euros for a period of 15 days. Now our car was insured we continued our journey.



Off course we know that we don’t have to trust Google Maps that the shortest way is also the fastest way. We had the options to Drive 60 km trough the Shar Mountain National park.

Or 120 Km via Pristina by using the small amount of motorways that Kosovo had at that moment.



We took the first option. According Google it should take approximately one hour. WRONG!!! It took us 3 hours to cross the mountains and narrow canyons. At least the view was nice. On our way we passed several villages where we saw many partying locals. It looked like that the wedding season was started. Locals with flags driving and partying at parking spots at the mountains. For sure they had a lot of fun. At the end we arrived at Prizren. Cigdem was completely fed up. Before we start to explore the city we decided to search for an accommodation. We realized that not many people were speaking English. Lucky for us, the second language in Prizren was Turkish. We found a nice hotel in the middle of the old town centre, next to the Turkish Embassy.





For one night including breakfast we paid 50 Euros. Thinking that this is the area where the embassies are located, it’s quite cheap. That Prizren is very cheap we realized when we paid 6 euro for a dinner for 3 persons! The old city center is quite picturesque. Many remaining pieces from the time of the Ottoman empire. The stone bridge. The ‘shadirvan’ (fountain built on the square for drinking water). Walking through the narrow streets of the old center and having dinks on one of the many pubs this city offers, we arrived to the time to go to the hotel and sleep.



The day after we started with the great breakfast buffet at the hotel. I must admit, it was one of the beast breakfasts ever offered at hotels. Time to hit the road again. Luckily from Prizren to the Albanian border the road was a motorway and in no time we arrived to Albania.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0424s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb